What is this piece?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I finally got some time to install my new baffle today into my Hearthstone Heritage. Resting on the front burn tube was this piece. Does anyone know what it is and what function it serves? The stove is a 2004 model if that helps.

What is this piece?

I think it’s an air deflector that slows down the flow and creates a little more turbulence and help combustion.

Reactions: jmb6420
It goes in the front of the stove above the door and helps hold the baffle in place. If you play with it a bit, you'll see how it fits into place with the baffle resting on it; the little ears on the sides help it stay in place and it will be sturdy when it is, not all wobbly. In the Mansfield, one of the secondary tubes also has a cotter pin that goes into it.

Reactions: jmb6420
@sen166 is correct. I knocked mine out one time and it took me awhile to figure out where it came from and how to reinstall. Once it is in place it'll be secure again. Until you hit it with a log.

Thanks guys. I tried looking on the Hearthstone website, but it doesn't even show that piece for my stove. Once I'm not burning again, I'll fix it. Stove's cooking good today. Can't say I'm getting any longer burn times with the new baffle, but stove is getting hotter so I'm thinking the secondaries are better.

If I smell chicken, I'll know what happened.

What is this piece?

Last edited: