What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The low this morning was 32, the basement started off at 73, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69.

Before the first cup of coffee, I shut the fan on the wood stove off and then pushed the air all the way in. I started up the pellet stove about an hour ago.

beech+oak+hazel on ash and oak and elm coal bed

yahoo sez 41F outside, real feel is 38
but it's constant rain and very little if any sun

The outside temp tonight is 37.2, the basement temp is 75, both temps in the living area are 72 with the sleeper at 70.

The wood stove has been cold all day and the pellet stove was just shutoff, we'll see what the house temps are in the morning.

just woke up at 445 to find my elderly feline didn't wake me as she has been doing
she was leaned up on the cement hearth with the coals nearly extinguished

just put on a handful of apple+elm+hazel twigs
with some small splits of bone dry ash and beech and today's fire is engaged

another 20-30 min and the flue would have been too cold

yahoo says 33F with real feel at 34
salon is a very cozy 19.7C/ 67F

I threw in 4 medium size logs last night just to keep the chill off. I think it got mid 40s overnight. Pretty much coals now, house at 70. May reach 60 today. Will see what’s needed for tonight.

We had a low of 35.2 this morning, we went without any heat overnight so the temps this morning were lower but not bad.

The basement temp started out at 66, the living area temps were 66 & 67 with the sleeper temp at 68. The pellet stove has been running since this morning in the low range.

Our outside temp tonight is 36.1, the basement temp is 75, both living area temps are 73 with the sleeper at 71.

I'll shut the pellet stove off before I call it a night and we'll go without any heat for the night.

30F according to Yahoo and real feel is 30F too, but my mercury sez 32 or 33

Yesterday I went out to a friend's for about 5 hrs and when I came back there was a warm flue and a good bed of hot coals in the ashes. The apple I've been putting in is lasting a long, long time

So I've continued adding apple every 3rd load or so

fast forward to now and I forgot set my alarm...ugh, I set the time but didn't activate it

So, there was 3.5 hrs gone by rather than 2. No problem, I've been letting the ashes build up and there is heat underneath...which is keeping the flue drafting

So, I panicked a little and chucked on a full load of starter size splits and twigs and it's currently roaring

added a big split of white oak+ medium split of Siberian Elm

The outside temp this morning was 36.7, both living area temps were 68, the basement temp was 66 with the sleeper at 69.

Since we didn't have anything for heat overnight, we had a fire in the wood stove this morning.

Yesterday the stove went cold. Hadn’t loaded since Sunday which was only a 4 piece load. I cleaned out the kings belly, netted approx 8 gallons of ash. Last night only got down to about 40 but the house was at 68 at 9pm so I decided to do another 4 log load. Probably more of the same tonight, we’re in a mild rainy pattern.

Sunday night no fire, Monday morning shoulder season fire then solar gains overheated the house (and I'm sanding drywall...😝), last night's 3/4 load of hardwood was good. No fire again until tonight. Should be a full hardwood load based on the forecast.

still going
just put on a big split of oak on a very hot bed of ash and oak coals

current real feel is 35F and then after tonight we are going into the 40s-50s for a while
which will possibly mean several days without...we'll see how it goes
fire heat is just so very much superior to elec

Still using heat pump here. 40’s and 50’s. Not sure when I will fire it up again. Have not even used a cord this season.

Wet damp kind of cold today. Just lit up the furnace an hour ago. Burning a recent score of dead ash. Have a wee bit of oak, and black locust left to accompany 2 pieces of hickory. Saving all of those for the cold nights in the forecast. So, ash it is .....

Last night we had a temp of 45.7, I thought the house was warm enough but the wife wanted a fire sooooooooooo we had a overnight fire. The basement started out at 68, the living area temps were 70 & 71 with the sleeper temp at 69.

This morning the basement temp started out at 70, the living area temps were 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 69. The low this morning was 40.8, the wife wanted another fire so we had a small one while having a few cups of coffee.

Took a couple days off due to warm weather, but after today's high of 45 and rain all day the stove is working again, I have a nice ash, maple and elm blend stewing away.

Been colder here for the last few days. Overnight lows in the high 20s dF, daytime highs in the mid-30s. Just in time for me to reach some of the lower-BTU wood in my stacks. Doing 6 hour reloads. The same temps would have meant 8 to 12 hour reloads a few weeks ago. Should be warmer in a few days.

Still working on 15 or so cords of wood to be split. The alder and hemlock are not a problem. Pine burns OK, but splitting (shredding) it is a PITA, and most of the rounds are 3 1/2 to 4 feet in diameter. Slow to move, and lots of evening backaches. Age makes everything take longer, but splitting is decent exercise.

Word is getting around my neighborhood that I'm heating with wood. A few people have called me and offered logs and storm-downed trees if I'll haul them away with my tractor and grapple.

Too much green wood, too little time...not that I'm complaining :)

Rainy all day and just kept a fire going to keep the dampness away. It let up long enough to get in an hour and a half of splitting. Going down to 38 by morning. Filled the night load up with 5 splits of ash. Should keep things cozy all night

It rained pretty much all day so I ran the pellet stove but just before 9 tonight, I shut the pellet stove off an the wood stove has a load of soft maple in it for the night.

The outside temp tonight is 35.6, the basement temp started out at 72, the living area temps are 72 & 73 with the sleeper at 70 the last I checked.

Yahoo sez 34F with real feel at 27F at 0630

I've kept the Panadero going non stop for almost a week now
Seems I've finally got the hang of this stove nearing the end of year two with it
it's all about fuel MC and air intake control

anyway, I've been burning mostly ash since this past Sunday and this overnighter of 70% ash + 30% white oak has just been topped up with about the same...maybe 20% oak

it's back to bed once the felines get back in the house

We had a low of 33.3 this morning, the basement temp is 72, the sleeper temp is 70 and both living area temps are 70.

We have nothing going for heat at the moment but I plan on running the pellet stove again today.