What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We had 30.2 this morning, the basement temp was 70 and the temps up here between 66 & 68. I just started another shoulder season fire just for some heat in the basement.

I got my long awaited cord of oak delivered this morning and I am thankful. I'm burning the ugly ones first.

I got my long awaited cord of oak delivered this morning and I am thankful. I'm burning the ugly ones first.

View attachment 319353
I know you're in NM, but that looks like pretty fresh branch wood. Did you check mc? When I blow up the photo I can't see any checking, but it does get blurry...

Awoke from my turkey coma and loaded Myra with hickory and locust to warm the house up. Got down to the teens last night, house was 66 this morning.

Up to 22 degrees outside and sunny with a high around 31 expected. Big pile of coals and 72 downstairs and 69 upstairs. Will have a shoulder season fire later when/if the house temp starts to drop. My shoulder season fires are usually 4 or 5 pieces of pine/aspen/box elder and 1 piece of ash buried in the middle to provide coals for the next load. I truly hate cold starts for a full overnight load...

Up to 22 degrees outside and sunny with a high around 31 expected. Big pile of coals and 72 downstairs and 69 upstairs. Will have a shoulder season fire later when/if the house temp starts to drop. My shoulder season fires are usually 4 or 5 pieces of pine/aspen/box elder and 1 piece of ash buried in the middle to provide coals for the next load. I truly hate cold starts for a full overnight load...
Stop sending us that wind!

Sorry, but we really don't want it either! I believe in sharing...😜
I guess it's time for my winter gear, I started wearing that earlier when it got cold out and then it warmed up again.

Have not had a fire in a few days as temps mild here. Temps 42 now and dropping fast to 23 tonight. Loaded now with some oak and cherry splits. I adjusted air control in increments to avoid the quick off gasing with a good small split load that happened a few days back when my stove got to about 680 STT.

Spent some time late this afternoon moving some sugar maple and cherry from a stack on the far side of my lawn to the new stacking area I made in my basement. I used some of the really strong pallets I got from work and made a nice indoor firewood bin that should hold a little over 1/2 cord. I ran out of daylight today but I'll finish filling it up tomorrow.

Another load of uglies just went in the stove, all maple this time.

I started a new stack tonight. I got a pleasent surprise when oak came down. We're supposed to hit 17 tonight. The thermometer says its 22 now.

Major accomplishment today! Finally managed to fix a very leaky screen door in living room. Very much looking forward to seeing improvements in living room temperature.

65F in living room and going down to 27F tonight. A full load of mostly locust with some ash just went in. Super looking forward to seeing the temp tomorrow morning.

Ok, I have to ask, how did you fix the leaky screen door? (Remembering the flex seal jon boat commercial)

• Haha
Reactions: Dieselhead
Ok, I have to ask, how did you fix the leaky screen door? (Remembering the flex seal jon boat commercial)
Took off the door, vacuumed out the track, added silicon lubricant to the wheels, and installed door draft stopper to the end. This door I don't use frequently at all, so I jammed a bit more of weather stripping into the tracks once the door was closed.

It's 17.6 out tonight, I'm burning down some coals so the stove should be ready for a load of ash at 10:15 the latest. The temps up here are 68 & 69, the sleeper is 67 and the basement should start off at 73.

Reactions: Solarguy3500