What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was 45 here today after a low of 21 last night. Mid afternoon I added 4 cherry shorties. And now a full reload of cherry. 35 outside,.a low forecast of 29.

I have to get some ashes out, but I'll do that Wednesday or Thursday as it'll warm up a bit then.

Reactions: thewoodlands
NOAA is calling for a low of 9 in the morning, we're at 23 tonight. The basement temp started out at 75 with the temps up here 68 & 69.

It's another night with the pellet stove supplying the heat.

Reactions: stoveliker
The low of 9 NOAA was calling for this morning was 1.4, the basement temp started out at 77 with the temps up here were 68 to 70.

The pellet stove got turned off and we loaded up the Liberty with some ash firewood.

"California Blizzard" at 1400 ft elevation. Couple inches of snow today which is a rarity in these foothills. What a joy to burn oak. 32°, so a little oak in a little stove and I am toasty warm.

After three 1" and 1' splits around 3 pm to keep something going in the stove, another load of cherry tonight.
Today was sunny until 3 pm. The sunroom was even 72 F when it was 36 outside. 33 now.

Supposed to get a few inches of snow, and then sleet, ice, freezing rain etc. They did a 2 hr delay with the schools. Hope my wife can get to the hospital (work) tomorrow morning.

Reactions: VintageGal
After three 1" and 1' splits around 3 pm to keep something going in the stove, another load of cherry tonight.
Today was sunny until 3 pm. The sunroom was even 72 F when it was 36 outside. 33 now.

Supposed to get a few inches of snow, and then sleet, ice, freezing rain etc. They did a 2 hr delay with the schools. Hope my wife can get to the hospital (work) tomorrow morning.
Thank her for her service. My wife also works in a hospital tomorrow AM shift. Just got the call schools canceled here. Should be a fun day. Up to 5” for us.

Going with cherry, maple and 1x redstone. Have 5 packs of 6 left and want to use them up by end of March. Been a nice supplement to my cord wood this first burn year. Have used just under a cord so far. Had a little over 4 cords so very happy to have a nice rotation going. Will get another cord from my neighbor this spring to fill the gap. Cut our gas bill by 43-51% depending on the month so we are happy campers!

Last edited:
So, we had about 3-4" of wet, heavy snow this past night. Wife got to work okay.

It was a dreary day, cloudy, bit of snow, sleet, rain. And now that it's cooling down from the high of 39 where the roads nicely cleaned, it's getting foggy here under the trees near the Sound.

Again a day where three 1.5" splits after last night's load were enough to get.me to here. A reload with the last of the cherry (I saw a few splits mixed in the next oak stack,.but it's not much) and some oak.

Will finish some oak shorties next few days, and then it's ash again.

Ash shorties today for the main reload (I did burn 2 medium shorties during the afternoon as well, not as thick as these).

It was 39 f today, bright and sunny in the morning. Cloudy and a few white precipitation pieces later in the afternoon.

The low is going to be 36. Tomorrow 54, so then it's ash clean out time.

Ash shorties today for the main reload (I did burn 2 medium shorties during the afternoon as well, not as thick as these).

It was 39 f today, bright and sunny in the morning. Cloudy and a few white precipitation pieces later in the afternoon.

The low is going to be 36. Tomorrow 54, so then it's ash clean out time.

View attachment 310475
Thank you for teaching me how to burn down my Coals yesterday. I have finally found an efficient way to burn down my coals so I can do a hot reload! I adding a few small, 1" splits I was able to keep the air open and burn those coals down to a fine powder! This has saved me so much time, energy and wood! 🔥

Thank you for teaching me how to burn down my Coals yesterday. I have finally found an efficient way to burn down my cold so I can do a hot reload! I adding a few small, 1" splits I was able to keep the air open and burn those coals down to a fine powder! This has saved me so much time, energy and wood! 🔥
Bark also works well for burning down coals. I save bark that falls off my splits in boxes for this purpose.

Mid size load of ash, maple and birch tonight. 37 outside, house is pretty warm yet from solar gains and small daytime fires so I didn't want to crank it up too much; but dropping down to mid 20's by the morning. Hoping the baseboards don't kick in...

Rain. 40 now 49 highs today. Time for the heat pump if needed.

Yesterday it was 65F and sunny so I cleaned out the furnace and loaded the indoor wood racks with mainly oak for the upcoming cold snap. Also spent about an hour playing outside with the kid after school. Everyone is ready for spring to come.

More ash shorties for the night load. Was warm today, so I cleaned out ashes. Still enough coals from last night's load at 7 pm to reload. Stupid ash wood, creates a ton of ash (which did keep my coals). I like oak better. Much less ashes.

43 now, 32 for a low tonight. The home was 72 today because of this weather and the stove still shedding heat.

More ash shorties for the night load. Was warm today, so I cleaned out ashes. Still enough coals from last night's load at 7 pm to reload. Stupid ash wood, creates a ton of ash (which did keep my coals). I like oak better. Much less ashes.

43 now, 32 for a low tonight. The home was 72 today because of this weather and the stove still shedding heat.
Ash is certainly aptly named. Funny to think we are the last generation that will see an Ash tree.

Ash is certainly aptly named. Funny to think we are the last generation that will see an Ash tree.
You may be correct, but I will note that the soil soak is very effective (albeit fairly expensive) in saving them. Has to be done yearly. I have a clump of 6 now medium size that I have been soaking yearly since the invasion that are quite healthy and growing quickly. Unfortunately I wasn't able to save the 3 mature one's as I discovered it too late. Kept them alive for a couple of years with the soak, but the damage was too far gone. I took the last one down last week...

Also, a few generations down the line, they may come back, if the chestnut efforts are an indication.

We had 8.6 for an outside temp this morning, we used the pellet stove for heat last night. The basement started out at 77, the sleeper was 69 with the other rooms at 70.

We changed back to the wood stove this morning with three splits of beech and two of ash.

Back to burning tonight after a few days off with mild weather. Heat pump intermittently was all we needed with the 40 degree temps. Stove is cranking 575 STT with a medium spilt of oak, ash and two small splits across the top. After 15min added a red stone brick. House is 73 now. 30’s and snow now until tomorrow night so burning this weekend.

I added one shortie of ash around 3 pm, and reloaded with almost normal length ash at 10 pm
Windy, 37, cold rain (some warning about icy precip) outside.

Reactions: Wildflush
Well a dud of a storm . Just rain and sleet, woke up at 3am house was 73 downstairs. I did not reload when I went to sleep at 11pm so just had some coals. Got the stove going again with 2 pieces of kiln dried kindling and 3 small splits of ash, and oak. Added a redstone. House was 75 when I got up at 8am so let the stove die out this AM. 37 outside now.