What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This morning was 31F outside and 63 in living room. Stove had enough coals to relight splits directly, although not much heat output at this point. Masonry above the insert still hot to touch and I think this is what kept hose warm past few hours.

reloaded with locust and biobrick, this will be a hot load.

How’s it burning?
I had to leave for a few hours yesterday. So i could not watch it but it burned down and by the time i got home was able to poke some charcoal chunks off it and add a couple smaller splits. It burned down faster than i thought and turned into a huge chunk of charcoal.

A whole lot of nothing right now. Might be a few overnight fires this week but the heat pump is going to be doing most of the work.

I'll throwing wood into the evaporator though. It was a light wood year so I have a surplus and don't need to cut up pallets. It runs much better on cordwood anyways.

We had 26.1 this morning with another load of ash providing the heat. We had 70 in the basement, 67 in the living room and 65 in the bedroom before our first fire.

Reactions: MMH and zmender
I gave in. Last night's reload was still not done at 7 pm today, so I increased the air to 75 pct open. I did that because I wanted to get the ashes out for a box stuffing on Sunday morning before I leave. But now I see that tomorrow already at noon it's cooled down so much that it's stove time (rather than tomorrow night). So it's not 24 hrs above my threshold of outside temperature and thus I did n ash clean out today while I still had two or three shovels of glowing coals when the cat was on the verge of falling out of the active range at 9.30 pm (i.e. 23 hrs after the last reload of an 80 pct full firebox...). I reloaded with oak and will keep it simmering until tomorrow noon. It's nice, after all, having the stove hot...🔥

Had another small system blow through that brought some chilly temps again, days in the 20s and single digits-low teens at night. Have been burning a nice mix of pine juniper red elm and mahogany. Supposed to be back in the 50s starting tomorrow so will likely let the stove go out in the morning.

It got colder than expected last night with a low of 11...I cleaned out ashes as it had been awhile and I wanted to get a little more capacity...as it was I was only able to get 8 pieces of squared up locust splits in the belly of the Princess at 7:45 pm..now its 7:45 am and its 74 in the stove room and 70 in the bedrooms and 12 outside.....love me some locust! lol..looks like I will repeat this procedure through Sunday evening then the warm up begins!

A whole lot of nothing right now. Might be a few overnight fires this week but the heat pump is going to be doing most of the work.

I'll throwing wood into the evaporator though. It was a light wood year so I have a surplus and don't need to cut up pallets. It runs much better on cordwood anyways.

View attachment 293370View attachment 293371
is this contraption for syrup??

Reloaded around 7:30pm with 50% locust and biobricks, fire should be out when I wake up tomorrow, need to clean up ashes.

Still had a small handful of burning clinker and coals left, and I used that as an excuse to clean up stove... Tbh after burning out all coals overnight there's less than 1/2 inch of ashes.

47F outside, 63F inside. Temperature gonna drop 20 degrees next 12 hours. Rebuilt fire completely, 5 locust splits and topped off 1/5 of firebox with twigs from the yard. Fire spread along the secondary tubes and mostly smokeless within about 5-10 minutes, and 45min into startup I have got nice light-yellow/blue tinted secondary.

Living room should warm up to 68-71F next hour or two. Next reload will be around 5pm.

Mix of cherry, hickory and oak warming the house this morning. Snowy, cold day and we are headed for a low in teens for the first time in weeks. It was 65F yesterday with snow today. March weather is fun.

It was 28 degrees this morning, the basement was 72, the living room 67 and the bedroom was 66.

Our first fire this morning while having coffee was mostly ash and a few rounds of ironwood, the temp up here in the living room is 70.

Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
20 degrees out right now and stove is full of silver maple. Used about 3 cords this winter of a 6 cord stash of it. Heading to around 10 degrees overnight, so I'll reload several more times before bed. Finally have the new stove figured out and can get a good 8 hr overnight burn after jamming it full before bed. I'm enjoying the maple but kinda can't wait to get it all burned because I love burning cherry and have almost an endless supply.

Last night's load is done. Reloaded with half a load so I can stuff it tomorrow morning before I leave for the airport.

Still red oak.

Was 44 today, but started cooling around noon. 31 F now, a low of 23. About an inch of snow on the ground and still snowing after much rain. Strong winds remind me why I built the shed; the last rack with a tarp is not doing well..

is this contraption for syrup??
Yep. It's just a wood stove made out of cinder blocks in my firepit. Have a full size sheet pan for the top where I boil. I can get thru 15 gallons in an 8 hour boil. The chimney is about 6 ft tall and really helps. I usually make a giant one in my driveway for 3 sheet pans but I'm injured and didn't want to do all the heavy lifting. It's a lot of weight to move.

We have a outside temp of 13.6 tonight with NOAA calling for a low of 9, it's 69 in the living room and 68 in the bedroom.

I just started the pellet stove so the basement should be around 78 in the morning if not higher.

Reactions: stoveliker and MMH
Do you run into any issues with the grease? I'd love to try something like this but I'm concerned it'll just be a huge mess. I just stick with potatoes and marshmallows for the kids.
Nothing major. I typically put the burgers/steak/chicken/whatever on the grate, then set the whole thing in the stove at once, so minimal issue there. I throw a kitchen towel down on the hearth to catch any drips while I'm burger flippin' or similar, and have my plate handy to rest the spatula on. Worst part is probably a few spatters on the glass, but that burns off with the next hot firing.

I would also say - not sure how all stoves are set up, but I pretty much close all air when grilling burgers, especially. They do tend to flair up a bit if I leave any air open. Other, less greasy items aren't usually an issue. Though possibly an EPA stove might not close down tight enough. But you could probably still manage that with good control of the coals.

Reactions: stoveliker and MMH
Was in the 50s today with good sun out, let the stove go cold from last nights fire which threw heat until around noon. Lit up tonight with pine and more pine in for the over night fire, lows headed for 20s. Scattered snow forecasted for tomorrow, fake spring # 4 here…

Nothing major. I typically put the burgers/steak/chicken/whatever on the grate, then set the whole thing in the stove at once, so minimal issue there. I throw a kitchen towel down on the hearth to catch any drips while I'm burger flippin' or similar, and have my plate handy to rest the spatula on. Worst part is probably a few spatters on the glass, but that burns off with the next hot firing.

I would also say - not sure how all stoves are set up, but I pretty much close all air when grilling burgers, especially. They do tend to flair up a bit if I leave any air open. Other, less greasy items aren't usually an issue. Though possibly an EPA stove might not close down tight enough. But you could probably still manage that with good control of the coals.

And you grill them with the door closed?

Reloaded with oak here; perfect timing as I had a good amount of coals left.

Filled it with oak to the brim. Pieces without the punky 1" on the outside. I saved some extra straight pieces that allowed for a no-space tight Tetris.

The wife will attend the stove while I'm gone. I.e. only adjust the thermostat until the load is done.

Should last 24 hrs. Minisplit time rest of the week.

See you next week

Last edited:
Just reloaded with some (17%) black locust, after an all night of ash and some red oak. Temps are supposed to come up today and throughout the week. Secondary burn is engaged and cruising along..