What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The lowest forecast temp for this morning (3/4) was -7 so I went with the pellet stove last night, we woke up to -16.2 this morning.

I've been burning some ash & ironwood today.

They say we'll have a low of 10 in the morning, the wood stove has some ash in it and the pellet stove is on a medium feed rate. If it's colder we'll be set for heat.

The basement is 81, the living room is 69 and the sleeper is 67.

Reactions: MMH
After feeding some 5 splits of oak around noon today (max temp was 33F), it's 29 now, a low of 25 forecast. I reloaded with - red oak... Again.

Took off before I was done trying to fit some smaller pieces on the top, so I gave up. D*mn dry wood... :)

Ashes and some coals. No fire today. Going to be in the 60s today. Let the boiler stretch its legs this morning. Have only run it 2 days this season. Stove will get a cleaning this afternoon.

Woke up to 67F living room and lot's of coals. Masonry are still hot from last night fire. Partial reload on questionable oak and locust. It's enough to hold living room at 70ish until sunset. I'll either light a small evening fire or just use masonry heat to carry us overnight.

I will be switching over to running just Ash now as the cold temps ease...give my Oak and Locust stash a break...lol

The pellet stove did the job overnight, we had 2.2 this morning with the basement temp at 82 (85 was the high) the living room was 70 and the sleeper temp was 68.

We're back to burning ash today and tonight.

Lesson learnt - if it’s 30s outside, living room will drop at least 10F over course of night. I need living room to be 70 going into bed time.

I let the fire burn out last night around 7pm. By midnight living room dropped to 65F, this morning 61F. At this point I’m pretty sure oil was on last night.

Got a load of oak, locust and biobricks now, loaded criss cross for a hot burn. High of 58F today and no need for long burn time. Need my BTUs now.

We had a temp of 41.2 this morning with rain, the basement was 70, the living room and bedroom were 66. We had a fire this morning, when I came in from plowing off the slush on the driveway, I shut the fan off on the wood stove. The temp up here in the living room is 71, some of that is from the sun.

Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
The stove is slowly cooling down from last night's load 5 one ft long oak splits. It was 37 then, but has since continuously warmed up. 55 now, rainy. 58 for a high, 56 tomorrow with 50 low overnight.

Tuesday afternoon I'll likely relight.

Will empty out some ashes tomorrow or later this afternoon.

Upon checking the forecast that is all over the place for the next 10 days with night time lows of 17 degrees to mid 30s ...it was time to gather up some kindling from my free saw mill score from this past year..it is all oak trimmings and I went over board when I had him load my dump trailer...lol...I am going to have to step it up and get it processed before it rots on me..thinking about bundling up a bunch of it and storing it in the barn for shoulder season...

Getting warmer here. Punky wood to get rid of it. Also working on the large piles of kindling branches and small trees that are off the driveway. Want to clean up a lot the rest of this season.

The wife wanted a fire tonight so I have one going, the outside temp tonight is 38.2, the basement is 72, the living room is 70 and the sleeper is 68. NOAA is calling for a low of 31.

Reactions: MMH and zmender
We had 33.1 this morning with the basement temp at 70, the living room at 68 and the sleeper was 67.

More ash in the wood stove for the overnight load, it's 29.1 outside, the basement is 74 heading higher, the living room is 69 and the bedroom is 67 or 68.

NOAA is calling for a low of 22.

It's 20.1 this morning with more ash providing the heat, the basement is 79, the living room is 68 and the bedroom is 67.

Wife was out of town and all heat was off except for an electrical heater in bedroom yesterday. Bedroom toasty at 68F, rest of house 58-62.
Wind is picking up and dropping down to 20s tonight - just built fire backup on locust and sticks collected in yard. Probably going into a continuous fire again until this weekend.

Wife was out of town and all heat was off except for an electrical heater in bedroom yesterday. Bedroom toasty at 68F, rest of house 58-62.
Wind is picking up and dropping down to 20s tonight - just built fire backup on locust and sticks collected in yard. Probably going into a continuous fire again until this weekend.
The east coast might be in for another storm (snow) this weekend, we'll see how it develops throughout the week.