What am I missing- hard starts consistently

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tum'sMama

Feb 5, 2024
Montana
I've been burning in wood inserts since 2019 so I know how to start a fire, have well seasoned wood, great kindling. The top start for my Alpine Kuma is driving me bonkers. Once she starts the burn is great, heat is excellent, and it lasts. I do question the high EPA rating but that's for another day. Any tips on the top down start method? I've had this insert for going on two years and am just disgusted. The only way it seems to really work is if I put wood on top of kindling that has paper under AND kindling and paper on top. Yes all dampers are open, door is cracked etc. Tips for an old dog trying to learn the new tricks? Thanks in advance.

We have a small Hearthstone that sounds similar.

I do not have any tips for the top-down method. Others can do a better job than I explaining that.

However, what works for our Hearthstone is to load two sticks -- perhaps an inch and a half to two inches in diameter -- north and south on the floor of the stove. I put a little newspaper (one small sheet) and a few pine cones between those sticks. I put a split running east-west in the back, on top of those sticks. Then, in front of the split, running east-west, I put several (3-4) smaller sticks -- one half inch to an inch in diameter. I light the newspaper, which lights the pine cones, which light the smaller sticks. Then the fire moves back into the split.

I think the important aspect, here, is the gap (due to the first, N-S sticks) between the stove floor and the small sticks and split. The air washes over the door, then under the load between the N-S sticks and keeps the fire moving. Anyway, whatever the reason, it works for me.

Best of luck!

Pine kindling and lots of it. And I use a torch and far wood or a fire starter. If I want a fast start I make sure not to pack the splits tight leaving room for good air circulation. It won’t be a full load this way but I can get up to temp in 15 minutes