We definitely want to know

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildbilljp

Nov 30, 2018
Ky
Webby3650, we definitely want to know what full retail is on the BK Princess insert with door and medium surround. Would be even better to know what factory pricing is but we'll probably never get that.
Seems to me dealers have to have plenty of room for profit on stuff like this. I bet they mark it up at least
30-40 percent. I worked retail for 6 years and we marked stuff up anywhere from 25 -200 percent.
Guy called me back and now wants $225 more over my receipt amount instead of the $700.00.
I'm still at a loss for what to think? Thinking about calling Public Service Commision.

What’s the price he’s quoted? Does that price include everything or is it itemized?

Reactions: therealdbeau
Any reputable dealer would just eat the $225, he’s still making money..

Honestly- webby has no reason to share anything with you. Likely it's against their agreement w bk to share that information. Stop telling people on here what they "have to do" and do something for yourself.... call a few other dealers. Get a quote from them. That the best way to see how your original quote lines up.

Costs can and may vary by depending on shipping. Is the dealer buying several stoves from bk at one time or just one? Etc.

Reactions: webby3650
Princess $2617
Shroud $317
Door $320
Liner kit $606
Insulation for liner $256
Labor $1000
Shipping $260
Tax $358

Total $5600 or so

This was my quote for princess from one dealer

I did not go with this dealer as he didn’t offer any discount at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess $2617
Shroud $317
Door $320
Liner kit $606
Insulation for liner $256
Labor $1000
Shipping $260
Tax $358

Total $5600 or so

This was my quote for princess from one dealer

I did not go with this dealer as he didn’t offer any discount at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, don’t expect any “deal” this time of year. We are doing an install everyday of the week, and many weeks behind...

I paid $3300 OTD for my princess, but I got a free coffee cup in the deal.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Honestly- webby has no reason to share anything with you. Likely it's against their agreement w bk to share that information. Stop telling people on here what they "have to do" and do something for yourself.... call a few other dealers. Get a quote from them. That the best way to see how your original quote lines up.

Now hold on shoot-straight, webby offered that on his earlier response. I never asked for a thing from him pertaining to pricing until he mentioned it. Take a look and you'll see that is correct. Now, lets answer the question about the actual quote and deal I made.
S.PI29 Fire box = 2600.69
S.Z4786 Blk Door 316.89
S. Z4674 Medium Shroud 314.70
Total 3232.28 X 1.07 tax =3458.28

Plus Freight 190.00
Grand Total 3661. 84 Yes, they charged me tax on freight..... This is directly from My itemized receipt.

Next day calls and Changes his mind after taking my check and printing a receipt and sending me home with the words "your insert will be here in January". Now wants 4200 something and I'm like NO!

Calls back the following day, Today, and now wants $3936.84.....
Why should I cancel the deal? My opinion, he should complete the sale as is.
Thank you.........

OK, I know what's goin' on. Now I want a BK coffee cup in the deal.....

Good things come to those who wait.

If you can wait until July or August. Walk in and offer 20% less than what you were quoted or less than sticker price in the store. Most likely they won’t let you walk out empty handed.

I can’t imagine the markup being very high on a wood burner. These things aren’t cheap to manufacture. At least the quality ones aren’t. The cost to ship must also be insane.

OK, I know what's goin' on. Now I want a BK coffee cup in the deal.....
We definitely want to know this is what I got

Reactions: Wildbilljp
Good things come to those who wait.

If you can wait until July or August. Walk in and offer 20% less than what you were quoted or less than sticker price in the store. Most likely they won’t let you walk out empty handed.

I can’t imagine the markup being very high on a wood burner. These things aren’t cheap to manufacture. At least the quality ones aren’t. The cost to ship must also be insane.
Need to get this done now. Took out a personal loan for the amount of the written quote to pay for the thing. That's what makes it so tough to just cancel the deal. I would be paying interest and payments on money just sitting there in my account.

Need to get this done now. Took out a personal loan for the amount of the written quote to pay for the thing. That's what makes it so tough to just cancel the deal. I would be paying interest and payments on money just sitting there in my account.
You could just pay back the loan with the money if you wanted to walk away from the deal

Reactions: Dug8498 and Bad LP
Next day calls and Changes his mind after taking my check and printing a receipt

wait a second, you already paid him and have a written receipt? pretty sure he cant charge you again, if it was me i would just walk away from the deal altogether and buy a different stove, check out woodstock stoves https://www.woodstove.com/ you can buy from them direct and they make an excellent product.

If he didn’t cash your check yet cancel it and walk away. It’s a free market. Go buy from someone else.

I do agree he made a mistake in the way he handled your quote. You can’t expect someone to give you something for nothing though. If he can’t sell it for the quoted price he just can’t or won’t do it.

As far as knowing what BK charges retailers for their product that’s between them and their customers. Businesses need to make a profit. That’s what keeps their lights on and their families fed.

If he didn’t cash your check yet cancel it and walk away. It’s a free market. Go buy from someone else.

I do agree he made a mistake in the way he handled your quote. You can’t expect someone to give you something for nothing though. If he can’t sell it for the quoted price he just can’t or won’t do it.

As far as knowing what BK charges retailers for their product that’s between them and their customers. Businesses need to make a profit. That’s what keeps their lights on and their families fed.

Boxer, I never expected something for nothing. I walked in the door of his business and asked for a price. Gave specific details of what I wanted. The gentleman came back with a price and I said OK let's do it. His worker run the deal through the cash register and I paid half down and they deposited my check. The money is gone from my account. How is that me expecting something for nothing?

Bottom line is he jacked his quoted price $225? Am I correct?. Its cold out side, pay the extra $225 and be done with it. I think the guy should stand behind his quote but he cant be forced to. Think of it this way, it might take you a couple of heating bill longer to make up the $225.

Reactions: Wildbilljp

You can ship anything that fits on a pallet LTL in the lower 50 for a few hundred bucks. YRC, Estes, NEMF... UPS and Fedex both do LTL trucks too.

When I bought my BK, I tried to get it from BK because I couldn't find a dealer that wasn't terrible.

The dealer I wound up reluctantly going through was more terrible than expected too.

Next time I will definitely be buying used, or buying a stove from a company that sells direct to consumer, to avoid paying a dealer for their negative value-add. I'll be sad to have a worse stove, but that's the way it goes.

You can ship anything that fits on a pallet LTL in the lower 50 for a few hundred bucks. YRC, Estes, NEMF... UPS and Fedex both do LTL trucks too.

When I bought my BK, I tried to get it from BK because I couldn't find a dealer that wasn't terrible.

The dealer I wound up reluctantly going through was more terrible than expected too, and next time I will definitely be buying used to avoid paying a dealer for their negative value-add.

Yes. But it costs.

Just give the guy the money and get it installed.. its a couple of hundred.. i could see if you were going to be out a couple of thousand.. thats a different story. Or talk to him and go halfway