Want to change out zero clearance fireplace with BK Ashford 25 or 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Sep 16, 2024
Newark, Ohio
I’ve been reading this forum for over a year now and just joined (and now posting). I helped my mom research and pick out an Ashford 25 fireplace insert (brown enamel) for the family farm house. After a few burns on it, I am hooked (I was always hooked on burning wood, but this insert has me staring at it for hours). We’ve always cut firewood and used a whole house wood furnace with supply/return ducting on the farm. I like to cut firewood and currently burn it in a zero clearance fireplace at my house on our main floor (Majestic WarmMajic WM36). My wife likes to hear the fire with the doors open, so I can’t change that one. We have another zero clearance fireplace in our walk-out basement where I spend a lot of time (office). It’s actually a propane insert, a Monesson DEB24/30PH, which is a 24” long burner unvented propane gas log fireplace rated for 38,000 BTUs. It has a chimney (I think 8” chimney, double wall), but the current propane heater is ventless. I’m guessing the previous owners installed the ventless propane insert and just left the chimney in place. The metal insert/surround has not been cut for the chimney…so the ventless design is still ventless.

I’d like to install an Ashford 25 fireplace insert (#1 preference) without changing the unique, large granite wall that has a 38” wide by 33” tall opening. Behind the wall is our garage where the framing/box is for the current fireplace. If any changes are needed, we can modify and/or build an entire new enclosure in the garage (can can install the fireplace insert from the back if needed).

To my knowledge, Blaze King inserts have only been rated/tested to be installed into masonry fireplaces. I wish they would test them or build models that are ZC/metal. It seems reasonable, at least to me, that it would be safe to install the Ashford 25 fireplace insert in this zero clearance fireplace, since the 38,000 BTU/hour rating of the current propane installation (just the metal insert, plus it has a ceramic firebrick liner inside that) is higher than the Ashford 25 maximum heat output of 30,000 BTU/hour. I was thinking of insulating all around the outside of the metal insert with rock-wool and replacing any wood studs touching the metal insert with metal studs.

As for the chimney, it appears to be 10” diameter on the outside and likely double-walled. If the opening is large enough, I was thinking of running a 6” flue liner (likely double-walled/insulated if that will fit).

If I can’t install as I described, what else would I need to do (and estimated cost)?

There is plenty of room to install the Ashford insert into the current layout. Both of my current fireplaces are enclosed in the same chase that run from the garage to the attic/roof and have their own chimneys.

1. If I can’t do the Ashford insert, can I partially insert the Ashford 30 free-standing stove so the chimney goes behind the granite wall?
    1. I can add a hearth pad if the granite hearth (24” x 60”) isn’t enough
  2. If #1 or #2 will not work, or are too expensive to modify area, then I would like to install a zero clearance fireplace that meets 2020 EPA and gets the 30% tax credit (high HHV). Like the Lopi Evergreen NexGen-Fyre (or hybrid version) or the medium flush hybrid.

I've included pictures of the propane insert, the roof/chimneys (smaller one goes to propane insert), and the garage area (back of propane insert).

[Hearth.com] Want to change out zero clearance fireplace with BK Ashford 25 or 30 [Hearth.com] Want to change out zero clearance fireplace with BK Ashford 25 or 30 [Hearth.com] Want to change out zero clearance fireplace with BK Ashford 25 or 30

Go get a zc fireplace.

The free standing stove would need a class A chimney in the case. Expensive. And it can't vent to the back; has to go up 2-3 ft before angling into the chimney.

Bummer, but it is what it is.

The gas fireplace can not have an insert put in it. There are several reasons why including supporting the weight of the insert, different type of flue, unlikely to fit, and probably there is strong language in the ZC manual saying it's not allowed.

Now, the idea of putting in a woodstove in front that is rear-vented into a 6" insulated liner is an intriguing one. If possible, it won't be a BK.

Putting in a BK behind the granite facade is also unlikely due to alcove installation constraints. The clearances would be wrong.

Search on this site "Blaze King Alcove". Members post in detail their projects.

BKVP