zero clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 26, 2023
California
Gas fireplace in 1987 zero clearance build?

I would like to install a gas fireplace in my 1987 California house, which currently has a big ugly zero clearance woodburning fireplace that we never use. The chimney is about 6" wide and there is currently no mantle, just an ugly white box frame. What are my options here? I'm confused on if it's even possible/legal to install a gas fireplace. But it seems like these direct vent models might work? Any help here would be very appreciated — I feel overwhelmed with the simultaneous glut and dearth of info on the internet.

Gas fireplace in 1987 zero clearance build?

I would like to install a gas fireplace in my 1987 California house, which currently has a big ugly zero clearance woodburning fireplace that we never use. The chimney is about 6" wide and there is currently no mantle, just an ugly white box frame. What are my options here? I'm confused on if it's even possible/legal to install a gas fireplace. But it seems like these direct vent models might work? Any help here would be very appreciated — I feel overwhelmed with the simultaneous glut and dearth of info on the internet.
When you say "Zero Clearance", do you mean a factory built wood burning fireplace? If so, the manufacturer will specify which gas appliances may be installed in it.
If you mean field built masonry fireplace, then your options will be better.

When you say "Zero Clearance", do you mean a factory built wood burning fireplace? If so, the manufacturer will specify which gas appliances may be installed in it.
If you mean field built masonry fireplace, then your options will be better.
Thanks for replying. I do mean a factory-built wood burning fireplace (not a masonry fireplace). Unfortunately I don't have access to the manufacturer information since we just purchased the home last year. Hopefully we can figure out what gas appliances are viable based on the dimensions and ventilation type—a single pipe going up to a wood-framed (again not masonry) chimney on the roof.

Reactions: Planet_stoney