Can I DIY cinderblock fireplace for wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Yes there is a classified section:

The VC is now up for sale. I will be figuring out a ZC that works with current chimney or changing direction to a woodstove. Also, is there a way to list it for sale on this forum?
Keeping it under 5k with a new stove or ZC will be a challenge.

Keeping it under 5k with a new stove or ZC will be a challenge.
For reference for the OP, I bought a new stove with a short run of double wall pipe going into Class A for installed for 5700 - in 2020 just before things went crazy with economy. I had it pro installed and I’d guess it was one of the more easy install. I’d have to figure that same work/marerials/stove would be like 7500 now.

The industry is moving in the direction of complete prohibition of inserts in ZCs. It has not happened but it’s being discussed. I highly doubt you would find any new ZC that in the manual allows for an insert. Any new ZC will require a new chimney.

What is your budget?
There is language in some recent fireplace manuals that permits inserts as long as they are specified for the product. Some new SBI & FPX fireplaces have this language for example.

Go for a woodstove. It's just better.