VG5790 overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ok so the squirrel cage is not reversed. Is your old blower seized up or making noises. Maybe you could blow it out good (motor windings and squirrel cage) and a drop of oil on the ends of the armature then, put back in for now and get you through the cold snap

Ok so the squirrel cage is not reversed. Is your old blower seized up or making noises. Maybe you could blow it out good (motor windings and squirrel cage) and a drop of oil on the ends of the armature then, put back in for now and get you through the cold snap

Bringing air compressor home from work. Gonna go to town on it. Will update. Hoping for the best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;) Fingers crossed!

gotta be the convection blower. did you try and get the old one cleaned and lubed?

No go i take it? Try giving ussc tech support a call monday. They may have more insight on your overheat

I should have clarified earlier. When you get E1, is your hi-limit thermodisc actually tripping? Or are you just getting an E1? The hi-limit thermodisc is a manual reset. When it trips, you have to actually push the button in the middle of it to reset it.

If the disc is not actually tripping and you're getting E1, then you either got a bad thermodisc, or a bad connection in the stove wiring. A multitester really helps here. But you could jiggle the button on the disc when the stove is running and see if it quits (that's what mine would do). Or bypass it (connect both wire ends solidly together) and watch the stove, by now you got a pretty good idea when it's going to act up, if it still goes E1 then you know it's wiring.

My thermodisc replacement was a White Rodgers 3L02-200. Some searching and I found a low priced source. We had about -25F last night and I ran mine on 5 all night with these hotter pellets, no issue.

Hard to describe actual airflow, but here's what I just did on mine. With the stove hot, I held up a piece of printer paper by my fingertips, moved it around near the front of the stove. On heat range 3 which I'm running tonight, up to about 3 feet away from the stove, the paper will lift up nearly straight out. Farther than that the effect is lost quickly. None of the speeds will blow your hair back so to speak. Nothing like the output from a vacuum cleaner. More like the output from a furnace heat register (the old ones that weren't high velocity and noisy). Is yours anything like this?

I did the same test and it does the same. My only thought is the exhaust blower is not helping enough to get the heat out of the back. Thoughts?

If the high limit switch isn't tripped with an overheat, the issue has to be in the control board. especially since you tried old motor and new motor and changed snap disk

If the high limit switch isn't tripped with an overheat, the issue has to be in the control board. especially since you tried old motor and new motor and changed snap disk

It does trip. Every time. I have to reset.

I agree with an earlier post, if the exhaust is restricted, it's most likely to hinder the fire and cool the stove. Perhaps unless you've got a roaring fire and the exhaust motor suddenly stops or the pipe plugs up. Can you tell if your exhaust is still running and flowing before the stove errors and shuts down?

I've never had that problem, but I put an exhaust motor bypass switch on mine which I use most of the time. Keeps exhausting the smoke from smoldering pellets if the fire goes out, also makes it very nice for cleaning.

So sounds like you've got good convection airflow. If your exhaust is running fine, I think it's a bad overheat thermodisc. As I said the one in my brand new stove was junk. I'd order a White Rodgers 3L02-200 from the online retailer of your choice. Mine's been working flawlessly since I put it in almost 2 years ago.