Very early baby bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tomz0

Dec 18, 2023
Minnesota
Hey all, new here and was hoping for some help IDing this unit. Got it for a steal ($0!) from some extended family and I want to give it a new life as my garage burner.

From what I’ve read, I have to assume this is a very early baby bear. Baby bears came out in ‘74 sometime? And trees came on the doors in late ‘74? Im curious because I found this in northern Minnesota, and that seems like quite the journey for this little stove.

This stove sat outside for at least 4 years (I asked about acquiring it in ~2017 and it had been outside for at least a few years at that time). It was used for the last 4 years or so but was never restored. I’m hoping to give it a new life.

In all, I’m wondering if anyone has a confirmation on my thoughts about its age, and hoping to find a source for a what I assume should be a chrome ball handle. Any other tips/tricks for restoration would be welcome.

IMG_3553.jpeg IMG_3552.jpeg IMG_3551.jpeg

Please dont burn garbage, inevitably the combustion temps are too low and there are various nasty plastics in there that can form nasty poisons like furans and dioxins. Our state did a study that the output of dioxin (the main ingredient in agent orange) from a wood fired 30 MW biomass power running 24/7 was less than 100 folks with backyard burn barrels using them weekly. If you see on the news all the vets that are dying from working on or living near "toxic burn pits", the military is not typically burning "toxic waste" they are burning normal trash with lots of plastics at low combustion temps spreading a toxic cloud around the area. Many soldiers routinely assigned to the pits or down wind are now getting cancer and other chronic diseases in their later years. https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/dioxin/dioxins-produced-backyard-burning_.html

Dioxins and Furans can be burnt in a very high temperature incinerator especially designed to do so but even the best wood stove cannot get anywhere that temperature and residence time. I know some folks burn trash in their OWB but they are voluntarilly living at the center of "burn pit" sucking in those toxins. Just think 40 years ago towns used to burn all their trash before they figured it out.

Please dont burn garbage, inevitably the combustion temps are too low and there are various nasty plastics in there that can form nasty poisons like furans and dioxins. Our state did a study that the output of dioxin (the main ingredient in agent orange) from a wood fired 30 MW biomass power running 24/7 was less than 100 folks with backyard burn barrels using them weekly. If you see on the news all the vets that are dying from working on or living near "toxic burn pits", the military is not typically burning "toxic waste" they are burning normal trash with lots of plastics at low combustion temps spreading a toxic cloud around the area. Many soldiers routinely assigned to the pits or down wind are now getting cancer and other chronic diseases in their later years. https://19january2017snapshot.epa.gov/dioxin/dioxins-produced-backyard-burning_.html

Dioxins and Furans can be burnt in a very high temperature incinerator especially designed to do so but even the best wood stove cannot get anywhere that temperature and residence time. I know some folks burn trash in their OWB but they are voluntarilly living at the center of "burn pit" sucking in those toxins. Just think 40 years ago towns used to burn all their trash before they figured it out.
Garage, not garbage burner. I want to use it to heat my garage. 👍🏻

oops

Early one, yes.

The fabricator in Minnesota was Roy Smith and Loren Trachsel, Minneapolis. They were one of the few that were not welders and hired fabricator Self Sufficiency, later became Sierra Stove.

Not sure if they were licensed early enough for the Springfield door.

See if anything is written in weld on bottom.

Be advised installing in any garage in the US is against NFPA-211 and codes that adopt it. Many still do, at their own risk. Use in a attached garage that affects the insured living area is not recommended.