Vermont Castings Wonderfire blows out after 30-45 minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

WaffleMoney

Jun 2, 2024
Idaho
Hi everyone,

Currently have a propane Wonder fire setup and got it up and running only to find out that 30 to 45 minutes into it running it will blow out and also take out the pilot.

Venting is great as it goes straight out the wall outside which is probably 3 ft away but it seems like maybe the blocked flu sensor is kicking in and I don't know what to do. It's an older unit so trying to figure out and hopefully some folks here know the trick.

I was getting a lot of condensation but I turned the valve down a little bit for flow and that seemed to take care of it. Thank you for any help you can offer

There are a couple of things you can check, but first of all, what do the flames do just before it goes out? Do they “ghost,” turn bluish in color & lift off the burner? Is there evidence of soot on the glass & logs?

There are a couple of things you can check, but first of all, what do the flames do just before it goes out? Do they “ghost,” turn bluish in color & lift off the burner? Is there evidence of soot on the glass & logs?
Thank you for the reply! I don't see any ghosting or anything like that it just goes from a regular burn to nothing and wiping out the pilot light.

The unit does vent straight out the back and I have it going directly out and terminating right outside the exterior wall so there's literally maybe 24 in of pipe total if not 18.

But to see that it's recommended a 2 ft rise is in place but that's wild since it goes straight out the back and terminate so quickly

Does the wind prevail from the West in the area you live? Which direction is the fireplace vent facing in relationship to that wind?

Does the wind prevail from the West in the area you live? Which direction is the fireplace vent facing in relationship to that wind?
It's actually pretty well protected from the wind and I really think it's something about that sensor because it's just weird how it shuts it all off even with it directing the exhaust straight up the wall to outside. Why he have to go up to feet I won't know when you can just dump it right out the wall

Is this unit a B-Vent model? Those models have a snap-disk (aka thermodisk) that will react to high firebox temperatures & shut the unit down for obvious safety reasons. I’m not familiar with a venting sensor. That snap-disk is usually located on top of the firebox. Do you have a wiring schematic?

Is this unit a B-Vent model? Those models have a snap-disk (aka thermodisk) that will react to high firebox temperatures & shut the unit down for obvious safety reasons. I’m not familiar with a venting sensor. That snap-disk is usually located on top of the firebox. Do you have a wiring schematic?
Hi Bob,
I thought it was a flue block sensor but it does have that disc up there so I imagine you are spot on with it being a snap disc and for high temp. I will check but I think I've got the wiring diagram around. Are you thinking that possibly it's crossed up or that the disc is bad?

[Hearth.com] Vermont Castings Wonderfire blows out after 30-45 minutes