Ventis cathedral box/adapter junction...silicone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Roof Brace is used when the pipe extends 5' or more above the roof, I wasn't sure how much pipe above the roof he was going with.

The Roof Brace is used when the pipe extends 5' or more above the roof, I wasn't sure how much pipe above the roof he was going with.
Yes but you would never use a support bracket like that in combination with a support box.

Reactions: CenterTree
I will have 2, four foot sections above the flashing. (so 8'). I will be using the roof brace in conjunction with the support box.

On that note, do you guys think the roof brace should be attached at the upper part of the first 4' section, or at the lower part of the 2nd 4' section?
Or even higher on the 2nd section??

I am thinking maybe about half way up the top section would be best, but need some "opinions".
I heard I can find a few opinions around here....;lol;lol;lol

I am thinking maybe about half way up the top section would be best, but need some "opinions".
I heard I can find a few opinions around here....;lol;lol;lol
I would go on the top section. It really doesn't matter much where on that one.

I prefer to put the brace at the top of the lower section, as long as there’s no more than 5’ above the brace. That way the upper section can be removed when cleaning, considering the cap is out of reach.

I prefer to put the brace at the top of the lower section, as long as there’s no more than 5’ above the brace. That way the upper section can be removed when cleaning, considering the cap is out of reach.
I just clean from inside anyway. Not a concern for me.

I just clean from inside anyway. Not a concern for me.
That’s fine if it’s yours, but when we install it there’s no way to know who will be cleaning it in the future. Often times it’s the home owner. I want to set them up for success. They won’t have the equipment to clean from below.

That’s fine if it’s yours, but when we install it there’s no way to know who will be cleaning it in the future. Often times it’s the home owner. I want to set them up for success. They won’t have the equipment to clean from below.
If they're going to have the equipment at all they might as well get a sooteater. Most people don't like to go up on the roof to clean, me included. Getting too old for that.

Why not you can usually clean from the bottom with the same equipment used for top cleaning. That is how we did it before switching to rotary. Now I just recommend the soot eater to customers.

Why not you can usually clean from the bottom with the same equipment used for top cleaning. That is how we did it before switching to rotary. Now I just recommend the soot eater to customers.
Either way, there’s no harm in making it easier for future maintenance if possible.

Not to mention, some stoves don’t have a removable baffle. Cleaning them from below through a bag is a disaster waiting to happen for a novice.

Either way, there’s no harm in making it easier for future maintenance if possible.
You are absolutely right which is why I try to set up every job so it can be cleaned from the bottom. It is safer for who ever does the maintenance

You are absolutely right which is why I try to set up every job so it can be cleaned from the bottom. It is safer for who ever does the maintenance
Some stoves and systems are hard to clean from the bottom, we always try too, but it’s not always possible for the homeowner.

Not to mention, some stoves don’t have a removable baffle. Cleaning them from below through a bag is a disaster waiting to happen for a novice.
As is pushing a brush down into the baffle. Or blowing dust out the intake because they don't have someone there with a vac to contain the dust when cleaning from above. There are potential problems cleaning no matter how you do it. But after switching to rotary from the bottom I will never go back. It does a better job faster and safer. And I am there to monitor the dust.

I spin from below when possible too, and prefer it. We have a lot of hearthstones out there and they are the worst. Even if the baffle is removable, it requires replacing cotter pins and so much time it’s easier to set up on the roof and get it done. Worst design ever!

Reactions: bholler
Some stoves and systems are hard to clean from the bottom, we always try too, but it’s not always possible for the homeowner.
Yes some are but really it is very few. If the install was for one of those stoves then yes I agree the top of the lower section would make sense. I really don't like pulling a section of chimney with every cleaning. So I try to avoid it if at all possible.

I spin from below when possible too, and prefer it. We have a lot of hearthstones out there and they are the worst. Even if the baffle is removable, it requires replacing cotter pins and so much time it’s easier to set up on the roof and get it done. Worst design ever!
Yes they are. We don't see to many of them luckily.

For instance, the Heritage 2 has a removable baffle, although it won’t come through the door intact.. when you lower it the secondary air channel in the back falls and all the ash and creosote falls into the secondary air inlet! Terrible design!

Reactions: bholler
For instance, the Heritage 2 has a removable baffle, although it won’t come through the door intact.. when you lower it the secondary air channel in the back falls and all the ash and creosote falls into the secondary air inlet! Terrible design!
Yeah I know.

Reactions: webby3650
I'll be using sootEater.

Question guys: Still messin with this (got delayed due to weather). Went to install roof brace (rods) and the bands that go around the pipe aare still loose even after I tightened the bolt the whole way. So the bolt is now bottomed out and the band is still loose. ;? Ventis cathedral box/adapter junction...silicone?

Attachments

• Ventis cathedral box/adapter junction...silicone?
    101_1254.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Ventis cathedral box/adapter junction...silicone?
    101_1258.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 123
Thankfully, my T5 has a removable baffle. Gonna be cleaning form the bottom with SootEater.

Well I got it. Seems like all I had to do was move the one flat-backed-carriage bolt around the strap to another, different hole that then allowed the band to tighten. Sometimes when ya rush to beat the rain, you miss the little (important) details.;em

Hope you beat the rain.
Thankfully, my T5 has a removable baffle. Gonna be cleaning form the bottom with SootEater.
That's a good combo for an easy clean. Just remember to stick a rag in the secondary feed tube before cleaning.