Trouble with Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adubree86

May 10, 2016
Overland Park, KS
I’m having a heck of a time figuring out my blaze king sirocco 25 insert. I’m burning well seasoned ash with 16-18% moisture. I can get the cat to engage easily and it’s burning ok but I only seem to get 10 hrs on low before needing to reload. I’ve loaded the store both N/S and E/W. Both burned for about the same time. When burningn on low it’s doesnt seems to be kicking out much heat. The fan also doesn’t seem to push heat much further than 8-10’ in front of the stove. Just for kicks I threw a box fan in front of the stove and it really pulled the heat out into the space and really made things toasty. The insert is installed in an exterior chimney and completely surrounded by roxul insulation. Chimney height is 17’6” with a double walled stainless liner. Any help on what to look for to increase burn times and heat output would be greatly appreciated. I bought this stove in hopes of heating my 1500sqft house and so far all it’s really done is supplement our propane a bit. Furnace is still running 3-4 times a day. Much better than every 30 mins but still running.

Nothing wrong with 10 hours, how long do you get with a higher temp? The inserts are smaller than the free standers and don't get the same burn times, also oak or hickory would probably get you a little more time.
I used to load my Princess three times a day in the frigid weather, it was nice to have when temps moderated though.

Running full tilt I don’t get crap for burn time. 4-5 hrs probably. So half of their advertised burn times on high. I knew I’d never achieve the advertised 25 hrs on low but I figured I could get more than 10 hrs out of it. And it’s not even completely eliminating my propane usage. I really wanted the princess insert but couldn’t sell the wife on looks.

Nothing wrong with 10 hours, how long do you get with a higher temp? The inserts are smaller than the free standers and don't get the same burn times, also oak or hickory would probably get you a little more time.
I used to load my Princess three times a day in the frigid weather, it was nice to have when temps moderated though.

I’m having a heck of a time figuring out my blaze king sirocco 25 insert. I’m burning well seasoned ash with 16-18% moisture. I can get the cat to engage easily and it’s burning ok but I only seem to get 10 hrs on low before needing to reload. I’ve loaded the store both N/S and E/W. Both burned for about the same time. When burningn on low it’s doesnt seems to be kicking out much heat. The fan also doesn’t seem to push heat much further than 8-10’ in front of the stove. Just for kicks I threw a box fan in front of the stove and it really pulled the heat out into the space and really made things toasty. The insert is installed in an exterior chimney and completely surrounded by roxul insulation. Chimney height is 17’6” with a double walled stainless liner. Any help on what to look for to increase burn times and heat output would be greatly appreciated. I bought this stove in hopes of heating my 1500sqft house and so far all it’s really done is supplement our propane a bit. Furnace is still running 3-4 times a day. Much better than every 30 mins but still running.
Can you tell me your serial number please?

Do you have a block off plate installed?

To much draft? With a stove it’s easy to buy a mamometer to hook up, but with a insert not sure the options? I don’t think a key damper is a option. Maybe other experts will weigh in.

The double wall insulated chimneys really hold heat well creating excess draft, in some cases.

I have a princess stove, but had similar issues, low heat short burn times and high flue temps. Put 2 key dampers in and tuned it to .05” of draft was at .17 or more and wow! Twice the burn time and darn near twice the heat.

Although I’m excited I solved my issue, I also recognize there is no silver bullet and I’m sure BKVP will get you dialed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No block off plate by the entire cavity around the liner is packed with roxul.
A block off plate sealed, stops air flow, batt insulation does not.

The reason you got less than advertised burn time is because you are running the fans. I have the AF25, without fans I have got in the 14+ hour range on a single reload. with the fans on 10 hours is similar to what I can get.

Also a good piece of advice I got was to put a box fan in another room on the other end of the house and point it toward the stove. Surprising how much an improvement it is .

I had a strong draft too which I'm sure contributed to lower burn times, should have asked you about flue size.

I have about 22' of 6" insulated flex liner, my install was done without a blockoff plate and it is in a fireplace on an exterior wall. I've found that i get my best burns when loading the firebox up n/s on the bottom then e/w on top and packing as much wood in as possible. I then light the top front of the load. This gets the catalyst up to temp pretty quick.

Last edited:
Well... I’m in the same boat on the Ashford 25. My wood isn’t the best, and I always run the fan. Fully packed stove running on high I get 7 hours of heat. But... it’s not super hot either. I told the wife to give it time, as I think it’s my wood that is sub par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have about 22' of 6" insulated flex liner, my install was done without a blockoff plate and it is in a fireplace on an exterior wall. I've found that i get my best burns when loading the firebox up n/s on the bottom then e/w on top and packing as much wood in as possible. I then light the top front of the load. This gets the catalyst up to temp pretty quick.
First things first, get a block off plate installed.

First things first, get a block off plate installed.

I'm happy with the performance in the 12-14hr range on low. Plus the stove install was a huge pain...there was good chunk of time where i thought there was no way the flue was going to connect to it (tigher clearance). I'm not pulling it back out unless something is wrong with it.

I'm happy with the performance in the 12-14hr range on low. Plus the stove install was a huge pain...there was good chunk of time where i thought there was no way the flue was going to connect to it (tigher clearance). I'm not pulling it back out unless something is wrong with it.
If there is nothing that blocking off the space between the new liner and the old the is something wrong and you will always be loosing allot of heat.

If there is nothing that blocking off the space between the new liner and the old the is something wrong and you will always be loosing allot of heat.
Ya, I would be trying to get all the heat into the room that I could with that stove. I'd also consider insulating the inside of the fireplace since it's exterior. But maybe he's a nature lover..the squirrels that are hanging on the exterior brick are probably loving the heat. ;lol
I just went out and shot the exterior brick on my un-insulated masonry fireplace; The warmest spot was 5* warmer, and it wasn't a huge spot, so I don't know how much difference insulating the fireplace would make. I also only have a 'block-off plate' made of Roxul (now Rockwool.) It fits pretty tight but probably still not as good as sealed sheet metal plate would do. That could be contributing to the 5* difference I saw..
Yeah, but now you know some of the tricks to make it easier. Plus you'll no doubt learn a couple more, when you pull it to add the block-off. ;)

I don't disagree, I just don't find it a critical change at this time. I'm happy with the heat output and performance. My install was into a very tight space...there isn't a ton of air gap around the liner as it is. Seems like i'm getting similar or better performance to other board members with the same insert. I'll add or pay for someone to add a blockoff plate and insulation later on or if i need to pull the insert for some reason.

I have the exact same issues with my Blaze King Sirocco Insert. I also get 10 hours on low, have tried loading every way, same results. Very little heat coming from this. I am experiencing the exact same issues with the fan it only blows out 8-10. My insert is on an interior chimney. It was professionally installed. I am desperate for a solution, I was told this stove would heat my house (1500 sq ft) it only heats about 400 sq feet. For the money I spent on this insert, it does not perform as I was sold. I am so disappointed

Post a picture of what your typical full load looks like please.

Reactions: rdust
Would you be able to help me with my stove, I am having the exact same issues
How long have you been heating with the stove? When was the stove installed?

Describe the wood that is being burned. When was it split and stacked or purchased?

How long have you been heating with the stove? When was the stove installed?

Describe the wood that is being burned. When was it split and stacked or purchased?
I have had this Sirocco Stove for 4 years, it was professionally installed.
We replaced the cat & gasket last year.
We have also had the chimney lengthened.
The plate below the cat is warped, has been since after the first year of use.
I have not been happy with this insert at all, every year I consider replacing it, I just cant justify spending the money, especially when Blaze King is supposed to be a far superior stove.
Post a picture of what your typical full load looks like please.

I have used kiln dried fir for the first 3 years of owning it, unfortunately this is no longer cost effective.
I believe this wood is pine, it has been seasoned in my backyard for 18mths.
I am hopeful for any assistance with this stove, it uses alot of wood for very little heat output.

Trouble with Blaze King

That's a good full load of wood. Is this an exterior wall chimney? If so, was an insulated block-off plate installed in the damper area of the chimney?