To cover wellhead or not to cover wellhead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
Any answers from homeowners who are on well water would be appreciated.

I have a neighbor whose well head rusted out and it caused a disaster for them to repair. I had another, old neighbor who used to throw an upside down Home Depot bucket on top of their wellhead for decades and never had a problem, swearing that covering it keeps it from rusting.

Googling 'cover well head' results in two responses: "DO NOT cover your wellhead" and "ALWAYS cover your wellhead"

So which is it? Covering it removes the variable of snow building up and rusting it out over time, it keeps birds from crapping on it, and keeps seeds away from growing. Not covering it in winter makes snow an insulator so technically making it warmer. If covering it makes condensation build up inside, I dont see it, because my old neghboor's wellhead who covered his looked brand new. Google says covering it can cause contamination, but also says not covering it can cause contamination... of course..

Thoughts? Suggestions? Leave the wellhead exposed or cover it? Thanks.

We drilled a new well some 44 years ago
(The old 45 ft well tended to go dry in summer
went 112 ft on the new one)
We have never covered the wellhead. The casing
above ground shows no sign of rust. It has
never been painted after the initial painting
done 44 years ago

In my area painting is not the norm, but many people will cover with something like this.........
for protection without sealing it completely.

a. well.JPG

Most I see around here are not covered. Mine is not covered.