To burn 24/7 or not to burn 24/7...that is the question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MMH

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2019
NV
Okay everyone, lend me your words of wisdom. Forgive me if this is elsewhere but I’ve searched and found forums that are either closed, concern pellet stoves, or don’t really answer the question. My climate during winter is typically highs of 20s-low 40s (as snow hits more on 20 side) and lows of negatives to 20s, house is 1960 sq ft well insulated holds temps pretty well. However this winter will be first full winter heating with wood only. So, here goes. During winter do any of you NOT burn 24/7, as in are you just doing say 2 fires, a warm up in the morning, and lighting one before bed and just letting it go out over night? I understand most of the pros and cons of this/24 hour burning (2 fires means 2 starts, more kindling more temp swings etc vs 24 hour burning is more even temps one start and maintain etc), but along that line are there really anymore pros or cons that are significant? Also, just a theory mainly but 2 hot fires should equate to less creosote compared to burning constantly and cutting air supply down etc. So, is anyone doing this or is everyone burning 24/7? If you aren’t burning 24/7, what is your experience with that model? Efficiency? Creosote more or less? Thanks all! Also if this is more appropriate in a different thread that I missed feel free to move it there.

Welcome to the forum MMH. I live in western NC where our temperatures are milder than what you described. When it does get down into the teens to 20s I not only have to burn 24/7, but even have to get up around 3 a.m. - 4 a.m. to do a reload if I want our inside temperature to be in the low to mid-60s when we get up in the morning. I do my overnight reload around 10 p.m. I have a big stove, Jotul F600 with a 3 cubic foot firebox. We have a fairly large log home with a cathedral ceiling in the living room where the stove is located.

24/7 that said I load NC30 before I leave in morning and by time I get home there are enough coals to reload typically 10/12 hours. I leave the lp furnace set at apx 65F house is 2200 sqft 1990 build with 6" side walls seems decently insulated. this will be my 3 winter in this home, 1st year no stove. I think about 3 fills for the year roughly 1200 gallons - last year stove fired in late Nov. I signed up for a guaranteed price, minimum 500gal purchase last year for the season 9-1 - 4-1 used a little over 500 gal ( also replaced all the window glass assemblies- no frames). They refilled the lp tank last week, so since the last fill which was prior to 4-1, 173 gallons used- I can't remember the last fill date exactly prior to this . I guess to mate apx 24gal a month for 7 months or apx $33/mo. mostly just lp water heater running. water heater installed in 1991 ( not kidding that is install date writen on heater-28 years old, pilot light type) I really should replace it ( figure on borrowed time, ya think?) by the way we had some cozy temps of -32F + wind chill for a few days during the season. I haven't seen temps that low here in my area for more than 30 years. it was a toasty 70f + inside with just the stove crackling away on those days.

I burn 24x7 when needed, however I have no problem with a fire in the morning and another in the evening when the temps are not as cold. Basically you'll find out what works for you as the winter unfolds. :)

Also, just a theory mainly but 2 hot fires should equate to less creosote
We burn 24/7 when winter gets here, but there's a lot of spring and fall weather where we just need one small "chill-buster" fire in the morning or evening. Creosote shouldn't be a big issue either way if your wood is dry, but if you wanna burn as clean as possible, learn to make your fires using the "top-down start" in a cold stove. Put a few bigger splits in the bottom of the load, then a couple small ones, some kindling, and a fire-starter in the top/front of the load. That way, the fire works its way down from the top; The smoke from wood that is just catching is rising up into the flames above and getting burned, resulting in a very clean start. Once the stove is up to temp and the re-burn kicks in, smoking wood isn't an issue.
Your neighbors will love your clean top-down starts as well.. :cool:

We burn 24/7 when winter gets here, but there's a lot of spring and fall weather where we just need one small "chill-buster" fire in the morning or evening. Creosote shouldn't be a big issue either way if your wood is dry, but if you wanna burn as clean as possible, learn to make your fires using the "top-down start" in a cold stove. Put a few bigger splits in the bottom of the load, then a couple small ones, some kindling, and a fire-starter in the top/front of the load. That way, the fire works its way down from the top; The smoke from wood that is just catching is rising up into the flames above and getting burned, resulting in a very clean start. Once the stove is up to temp and the re-burn kicks in, smoking wood isn't an issue.
Your neighbors will love your clean top-down starts as well.. :cool:

Thank you woody stover when we first got the stove in February I saw the top down method, tried it, and now spread the gospel!

I burn 24x7 when needed, however I have no problem with a fire in the morning and another in the evening when the temps are not as cold. Basically you'll find out what works for you as the winter unfolds. :)

Yeah im doing that through our shoulder season also. I guess I’ll just have to figure out what the winter burning is like first hand!

Welcome to the forum MMH. I live in western NC where our temperatures are milder than what you described. When it does get down into the teens to 20s I not only have to burn 24/7, but even have to get up around 3 a.m. - 4 a.m. to do a reload if I want our inside temperature to be in the low to mid-60s when we get up in the morning. I do my overnight reload around 10 p.m. I have a big stove, Jotul F600 with a 3 cubic foot firebox. We have a fairly large log home with a cathedral ceiling in the living room where the stove is located.

Thank you! Learned a lot here so far!

24/7 that said I load NC30 before I leave in morning and by time I get home there are enough coals to reload typically 10/12 hours. I leave the lp furnace set at apx 65F house is 2200 sqft 1990 build with 6" side walls seems decently insulated. this will be my 3 winter in this home, 1st year no stove. I think about 3 fills for the year roughly 1200 gallons - last year stove fired in late Nov. I signed up for a guaranteed price, minimum 500gal purchase last year for the season 9-1 - 4-1 used a little over 500 gal ( also replaced all the window glass assemblies- no frames). They refilled the lp tank last week, so since the last fill which was prior to 4-1, 173 gallons used- I can't remember the last fill date exactly prior to this . I guess to mate apx 24gal a month for 7 months or apx $33/mo. mostly just lp water heater running. water heater installed in 1991 ( not kidding that is install date writen on heater-28 years old, pilot light type) I really should replace it ( figure on borrowed time, ya think?) by the way we had some cozy temps of -32F + wind chill for a few days during the season. I haven't seen temps that low here in my area for more than 30 years. it was a toasty 70f + inside with just the stove crackling away on those days.

Yeah agreed here; propane is only other heating source available where I am (no NG) and propane here is expensive. In the house it’s furnace and water heater so now with the stove just the water heater; haven’t touched it once since we got our stove installed so that’s nice.

Do what makes sense for your lifestyle. There is no hard rule or code of burners that you need to follow. Like Zack we burn smaller hot fires in milder weather (nighttime temps <45º) and 24/7 when daytime temps get below the mid 40s. I strongly recommend having backup system fueled, connected and ready to go. Stuff happens and you want to have heat in place even if you are pulled away for some reason or are sick.

Do what makes sense for your lifestyle. There is no hard rule or code of burners that you need to follow. Like Zack we burn smaller hot fires in milder weather (nighttime temps <45º) and 24/7 when daytime temps get below the mid 40s. I strongly recommend having backup system fueled, connected and ready to go. Stuff happens and you want to have heat in place even if you are pulled away for some reason or are sick.

Yes that is true no rules! Yes I keep the propane filled usually have thermostat set to something low just in case.

Thank you all for the responses so far. I think one thing is for sure, and that is once winter really hits for us we’re just going to have to play with it, try different things and different set ups, experiment a bit and find the sweet spot! I do have to say though now that we’ve got the wood stove I do envy most everyone here with 12 hour shifts etc something that allows you or someone to be home at least once during the day to tend to the stoves. Keep the replies coming!

What stove is this? If it is a BK you will have different burn cycles than non-cat stoves. Their stoves are thermostatic and can burn at low rate so long burn times in mild weather are common. How long the burn time will be dependent on how quickly the house loses heat. If the heat loss is low and the temps are in the 30s+ then you should easily see 12+ hr. burn times.

What stove is this? If it is a BK you will have different burn cycles than non-cat stoves. Their stoves are thermostatic and can burn at low rate so long burn times in mild weather are common. How long the burn time will be dependent on how quickly the house loses heat. If the heat loss is low and the temps are in the 30s+ then you should easily see 12+ hr. burn times.

I’ve got the BK ashford 30

If legend holds true you should be seeing 20+hr burn times in milder weather. Keep us posted on how it works out .

If legend holds true you should be seeing 20+hr burn times in milder weather. Keep us posted on how it works out .

Yeah I’ve seen many on here comment about their BKs and their burn times; I also speculate though such as some if there’s usable heat there, or just something in there to get another fire going. I managed to somehow get my hands on a hand full of oak and cherry, all I have normally is pine (although juniper species is available and mahogany if you can find it) so I’d like to really test out these times, as well as differences in the species. If I ever get a break from school and work and can track down some different species to test on I’ll post it

Yeah I’ve seen many on here comment about their BKs and their burn times; I also speculate though such as some if there’s usable heat there, or just something in there to get another fire going.
The long burn times are at low output; Obviously, there are only so many BTUs in a load of wood. But frequent low-output burns might be just the ticket in your mild climate.
I managed to somehow get my hands on a hand full of oak and cherry, all I have normally is pine (although juniper species is available and mahogany if you can find it)
Cherry is da bomb. Get it? Cherry Bomb. :rolleyes:
My Sis is in NM, and I think she mainly burns Juniper..I believe it burns longer than regular Pine, right? Looking at BTU charts online, I'm seeing numbers all over the place..maybe there are different species of Juniper?

The company writing your homeowners policy wants to hear the word "supplemental." If you are late home from work one night your pipes are not going to freeze because your primary is (electric/ oil gas) and you insurance agent doesn't give two hoots if you happen to supplement the living dog out of your primary as a wood burner, just no claims on frozen pipes please.

I don't think 2 fires causes less creosote than burning all day. 2 fires means startup smoke going up a cold flue 2x a day.

Reactions: Higgs
The long burn times are at low output; Obviously, there are only so many BTUs in a load of wood. But frequent low-output burns might be just the ticket in your mild climate.
Cherry is da bomb. Get it? Cherry Bomb. :rolleyes:
My Sis is in NM, and I think she mainly burns Juniper..I believe it burns longer than regular Pine, right? Looking at BTU charts online, I'm seeing numbers all over the place..maybe there are different species of Juniper?

Yes true I may try that; yes juniper is said to be a denser softwood compared to pine btu 20-27 depending on species, and yes there’s a lot of different species much like pine.

The company writing your homeowners policy wants to hear the word "supplemental." If you are late home from work one night your pipes are not going to freeze because your primary is (electric/ oil gas) and you insurance agent doesn't give two hoots if you happen to supplement the living dog out of your primary as a wood burner, just no claims on frozen pipes please.

Thanks for the advice Poindexter

I don't think the Ashford is well suited to doing 2 fires a day. The cast iron cladding is slow to heat up. IMO a strictly steel stove would be better for that type of use.

I don't think the Ashford is well suited to doing 2 fires a day. The cast iron cladding is slow to heat up. IMO a strictly steel stove would be better for that type of use.

Mtash that’s a good point. However I will say that my experience so far isn’t bad (I think). Granted I’ve never had a non cast stove (this is my first) but my stove starts throwing heat pretty quickly. I usually start seeing temp increases within ~ 25-30 mins, and the remaining 30 mins of that hour even more so, although I do have a fan/blower. For example I got up this morning house was 65 outside 27, lit fire and walked out at 7 (started fire at 6) house was 68.5-69. It is certainly possible though that my new self just thinks this is fairly quick and in reality it isn’t

We have done 2 fires a day during the shoulder season in a cast clad stove. It doesn't take that long to warm up. This is common with cold nights and clear days when the sun warms up the house during the daytime. We're having exactly that kind of day today. 38º last night but it will be 60º and sunny today, so I will let the fire burn out and will probably start another fire tonight. I started the stove at 7:30 today. It was up to temp by 8am. Dry wood rules.

Reactions: mountain man 2