Tire chain source for a tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromehdmc

Hearth Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
Kansas City
I have a small tractor, a Ford 1600. I have been looking for a set of chains for the tires, size 11.2X24, but they are pretty expensive. I came across a guy selling a whole bunch of semi tire chains. Seems he had a trucking company and he retired last year. He had about 40 sets of brand new chains still in the bags. I thought a semi tire was about the size of my tires and looked it up on the interweb. Sure enough 285/75/24.5 tires were about the same size as my tractor tire. I picked up a set cheap, he even said if they didn't fit to bring them back and he would give me my money back. Anyway I put them on this morning and they fit perfectly.

Anyone who wants a set of chains for their tractor may try looking at semi chains. Measure your height and width then look up semi tire sizes to find a match.

Reactions: UncleJoe
Thanks for the tip. I bought chains for my rear tractor tires and they were expensive as you said.
After plowing snow I've decide a set for the front wheel would be helpful. I doubt semi chains will fit those smaller tires though.

Status
Not open for further replies.