The Summit Clunk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
So, I have a new PE Summit insert and when it starts to cool down during the burn cycle (stove front ~450-475 Deg), it makes a thud sound. It sounds like someone threw a ball against the sheet metal outside. My guess is that it is just thermal expansion of the casing. It happens almost every time. Anyone ever have something like this happen?

I don't have your stove but I can comment on having the same thing happen to mine. In the break in process my my Jotul I had an issue with the cool down process and the cast making noises where the top connects to the sides. My noises lasted approx. 1 week before things settled down. I have had the stove for almost 4 years now and haven't heard a peep since the break in. Also, this fall I just installed a heat sheild on the rear of my stove to work with a small blower and the tin made noise on the cool down for a week or so then settled in like the stove did. good luck...

I got one freestanding Summit.. I've heard the thunk before. Its either the heatshield (kind a reverberating thunk) or the baffle rail (more of a solid thunk). Either tighten up the heatshields (or maybe loosen it to allow it to expand/contract without thunking.. you'll have ta experiment), or check the siderails to ensure proper seating. Theres alota sheetmetal encasing the firebox on the insert version, so I'd bet the shields in the back are whats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.