The landscapers are back at work...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
In our town the tree service people have to pay to get rid of their wood. The larger tree services that have some storage area split and sell the wood to save some money and make a couple of bucks. Many of the smaller businesses only have a yard big enough for their equipment. They are always looking for a place that does not charge them to dump the wood.

When I see the guys working in the area I always stop and ask. So far I have not had a problem getting all the wood I need. I usually use about 3 to 4 cords (128 cu ft each) a year. Between March and the 1st of June I manage to acquire, split & stack a season's worth of wood. I have enough room on my property to store three season's wood. Pictured is the second load for the 2014/15 season. It is dumped right where it will be split and stacked, next to the stacks from the first load. I split by hand and spend a couple of hours a day, two or three days a week, until I'm finished.

Img_5673_a.jpg

Edit: As usual, edited for spelling, grammar, and clarity.

Funny how sometimes it's so easy it's as if the stuff grows on trees. There are several "Free firewood" offers on craig's list every day now around me.

Reactions: Realstone
Getting to know the tree guys in your area is a great way to get wood - nice work on the score - this is one of the best things about wood heat.......what else can you get for yourself to heat your house in cold climates? Cheers!

Sounds like a sweet deal.
I'll post lots of pictures if it ever happens here, "free" - "delivered" wood. "YOU ARE SPOILED" . LOL & jealous :)
Maybe just lucky & in a good location ;)
Good job!

KaptJaq,
Similar story here. I have yet to pay for any of the wood (except for gas, sweat, and time) that I have got from tree services. Pushing 25 FC now. You are correct. A lot of them in this area will put your name on a list including what you will take and how much. Saves them $$$ when they can go right to the next job and not have to go to a yard and pay for disposal by weight. Sure, it isn't always primo stuff, but I'm not about to complain.
Keep on scrounging,
Tim

I had to turn a load of wood away yesterday. A local tree service I connected with showed up with a load of oak, cherry, locust, and maple. He brought me 4 loads over the winter while doing some cutting for our township so I am at capacity. 7 cords cut, split and stacked with no room for more. I also promised the wife no more until I burn or sell some. Anyway, I want him to think of me as someone who will take wood when he brings it so I called my BIL and he ended up taking the load so problem solved. Even though I didn't get that load, at least a family member got it and next time he passes by my driveway with a load to give away, he know's I should be able to find somewhere for it.

I got the same deal going on!! It's great, just don't have as much room as some of you folks....

All the ones around me you have to pay them to bring it to you. Still cheaper then buying it and even cheap the getting a log load so i cant complain. Then I dont have to spend my time getting it and I dont need to have a truck.

When the price of oil went up, some of the services tried charging a few bucks to dump a load here, maybe $50. There were so many others that considered it a favor to take the wood. The few that tried to charge ended up paying to get rid of their wood. The charge disappeared quickly.

There are two services I have worked with for a while. When they are in the area and have some decent wood they always call, especially if they are doing two half-day jobs and need to empty the truck between the jobs. One has a small yard and does split and sell some firewood to his regular customers. One time he came up short about a face cord for a long time customer. He called and asked if he could "borrow" some split 6 month to a year seasoned wood. He offered to dump a load and have one of his guys split it for me as soon as he could to replace what he took. Told him to take what he needed and dump a load of oak when he had it, I needed the exercise so I would split it myself. He is now my most reliable supplier, always good clean rounds, few if any uglies, and cut to 18 inch lengths. Work with them and they work with you...

KaptJaq

i vote that this forum should ban posts about guys who have to turn away free wood, big loads of Red Oak dumped "right where I will split and stack it" and anyone who arrives home from work to find free wood in the yard. What's next? A post from a guy who charges tree surgeons to dump cut, split firewood in his yard? You guys are making the rest of us jealous.

When the price of oil went up, some of the services tried charging a few bucks to dump a load here, maybe $50. There were so many others that considered it a favor to take the wood. The few that tried to charge ended up paying to get rid of their wood. The charge disappeared quickly.

There are two services I have worked with for a while. When they are in the area and have some decent wood they always call, especially if they are doing two half-day jobs and need to empty the truck between the jobs. One has a small yard and does split and sell some firewood to his regular customers. One time he came up short about a face cord for a long time customer. He called and asked if he could "borrow" some split 6 month to a year seasoned wood. He offered to dump a load and have one of his guys split it for me as soon as he could to replace what he took. Told him to take what he needed and dump a load of oak when he had it, I needed the exercise so I would split it myself. He is now my most reliable supplier, always good clean rounds, few if any uglies, and cut to 18 inch lengths. Work with them and they work with you...

KaptJaq

I tried to work with the 3 that are "close" as I live 25 miles out from any city that is big enough to have lots of trees cut down. Plus all 3 of them sell fire wood as they all have lots of land for there wood to go. It is the one bad thing about living here. On my 1 mile road there are 10 house's and 7 of us burn.... So I pay. $200 of 3 cord of oak, hard maple and ash in log form is not to bad, $100 for 3 cord of "other" stuff that he has around. He said he would give it to me if he was ever in my area taking trees down but I dont see that happening any time soon.:(

I tried to work with the 3 that are "close" as I live 25 miles out from any city that is big enough to have lots of trees cut down. Plus all 3 of them sell fire wood as they all have lots of land for there wood to go. It is the one bad thing about living here. On my 1 mile road there are 10 house's and 7 of us burn.... So I pay. $200 of 3 cord of oak, hard maple and ash in log form is not to bad, $100 for 3 cord of "other" stuff that he has around. He said he would give it to me if he was ever in my area taking trees down but I dont see that happening any time soon.:(

I hear ya . . . where I live in Maine a fair number of folks burn with wood and just about anyone that cuts a tree down either plans to burn it or is giving it to a friend or neighbor who burns . . .

I guess that is an advantage that we suburban folks have. No that many wood burners and lots of trees.

Finally finished c/s/s the last landscaper load of wood. In the first photo the 8 feet closest to the camera are three rows of new red oak, 6 foot high, and 20" log length for 240 cubic feet.
In the second picture there are two rows, 8 foot long and 5 feet high of 20" logs for an additional 133 cubic feet of mostly red oak, some hard maple, & a little douglas fir.

Total this load of 373 cu ft or just shy of three cords.

Img_5674_a.jpgImg_5675_a.jpg

KaptJaq

Finally finished c/s/s the last landscaper load of wood. In the first photo the 8 feet closest to the camera are three rows of new red oak, 6 foot high, and 20" log length for 240 cubic feet.
In the second picture there are two rows, 8 foot long and 5 feet high of 20" logs for an additional 133 cubic feet of mostly red oak, some hard maple, & a little douglas fir.

Total this load of 373 cu ft or just shy of three cords.

View attachment 66114View attachment 66115

KaptJaq

Nice. That will keep you warm for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.