The big day is here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 26, 2023
sw va
Finally, after many months (almost 3) it is happening!
Done in the basement and in progress as I type in the next floor up and on the roof.
Catycorner stove placement we (wife and I) both love.
We call it a basement but only one wall is bermed and it has 2-3 feet of concrete showing
on the bermed wall; all other walls have windows. Basement wall we discovered is poured concrete
so in a way glad we didn't go through the wall; would have been a lot of hammer drilling!
Chase in living room area (I know the panelling has to go, in time, we've been here now for 2 moths and 16 days)
is determined and the wife says 'we can deal with that', so she took it much better than I thought. I'm texting her
images, she's at work.
Luckily or just a good installer but NO floor joists or ceiling rafters had to be cut in any way.
More pics to follow.
Really a meticulous crew. Many many measurements taken well before the first cut. Images taken of distances
of placement and chimney/stove pipe types for State Farm.
Still in progress so any thoughts appreciated as we go.
p.s. stove pipe is double wall and a damper is to be installed close to the stove.

HearthForum 1.jpg HearthForum 2.jpg

@MedicineMan4040 I don't see a hearth pad. What is the flooring? Is it ceramic tile, or an engineered lvp flooring?

As long as the chimney pipe clearances are honored, a cabinet can be built alongside and as part of the chase to make it look intentional. A small vent grille at the bottom and the top of the chase will vent some extra heat into the room.

Reactions: MedicineMan4040
I thought that chimney pipe was installed and was looking for the 2" clearance - and only after a bit I saw the hole in the floor :)

Do you have dry wood? And a moisture meter?
This will prevent a whole lot of frustration.

Otherwise get some biobricks or pallets.

I thought that chimney pipe was installed and was looking for the 2" clearance - and only after a bit I saw the hole in the floor :)

Do you have dry wood? And a moisture meter?
This will prevent a whole lot of frustration.

Otherwise get some biobricks or pallets.
At the other house 8 cords of pristine cured birch.....sadly too far away to haul economically....so am beginning to
collect for next year/just cut down a beautiful maple. Should be good next winter. I do have a handful of good wood for
the break-in period and 5 packs of wood fuel blocks from Rural King. I did contact local wood sellers and both told I
was too too late for this winter haha! I did check with Osburn and the wood fuel blocks are OK by them. I already told
wife never any more than 2 of them in at a time. Yes I do have a moisture meter. I'll even put the meter on the biobricks.
Also found out, the Tractor Supply in Marion Va/30 miles away does sell the wood fuel bricks by the pallet.....but right
now no dry place to store that many. I'll work on that in the spring.

Reactions: stoveliker
I think we'll do what Begreen suggest, shelving to the walls on either side, but I'm open to other ideas.
How about a round chase with shelves?
Any thoughts appreciated (don't worry, the 1970's era wall panelling will be gone soon enough too-

HearthForum5.jpg

You're well prepared - kudos!

Bummer of the 8 cords... Sell it there? You should be able to get some good money for properly dry birch - at least from folks who know what they're talking about.

A round chase is hard to make. I'd make a square one with one side having deep shelves (or even a narrow door to a deep skinny closet) and one side with less deep shelves that you can look at and have (Mrs approved) fun stuff on.

You're well prepared - kudos!

Bummer of the 8 cords... Sell it there? You should be able to get some good money for properly dry birch - at least from folks who know what they're talking about.

A round chase is hard to make. I'd make a square one with one side having deep shelves (or even a narrow door to a deep skinny closet) and one side with less deep shelves that you can look at and have (Mrs approved) fun stuff on.
Yes, she was looking for a place for a broom closet anyway. Great idea!
Round chase, doubtful I know but I just sent a pic of the chimney that needs to be chase'ed to my brother and he wrote back saying 'get
a divorce attorney'....ha! He knows my wife well. He's an awesome woodworker and also wrote back he'd come up with something to 'hide that thing!'

Where the wood is/former home/we have some good neighbors I'll gift it too. They burn wood too. I'll take my trailer up sometime and grab a load......but I'm crossing state lines....wonder if that is legal. Can only haul little bits at a time. I will grab what I can before that house sells.

• Haha
Most (all?) places that would not be legal indeed.

A good woodworker can make that look intentional. I like the idea of a broom/vacuum closet on the backside. Some nice shelves or cabinets with doors on the entry side will make it look intentional. Some fake doors could go on the pipe side to make it look symetrical. Or go asymmetrical. This is what we did in our house to hide the upstairs bathroom supply and drain pipes and the electrical panel. My wife was dubious at first, but now she loves it.
(PS: It was built by a boat builder. The upper collar is removable to then remove the top part and expose the plumbing).

IMG_4204.jpg

I'll take my trailer up sometime and grab a load.
Tarp it well and completely.

A good woodworker can make that look intentional. I like the idea of a broom/vacuum closet on the backside. Some nice shelves or cabinets with doors on the entry side will make it look intentional. Some fake doors could go on the pipe side to make it look symetrical. Or go asymmetrical. This is what we did in our house to hide the upstairs bathroom supply and drain pipes and the electrical panel. My wife was dubious at first, but now she loves it.
(PS: It was built by a boat builder. The upper collar is removable to then remove the top part and expose the plumbing).

View attachment 324140

Tarp it well and completely.
Hide it! Yes! Well I could also drive the backroads. Doubt a sherrif would ask whats under the tarp.

What would be illegal? Round chase? or hauling firewood across state lines? I missed out on something.
Hauling firewood.
Spreading of invasive bugs etc.

The (il)legality of round chases depends on the law of the Mrs - at least that's the case in my place.

Last edited:
Check the local regs. What state is the wood in?

ya the bugs no better then to cross state lines that are a half hour away
The point is that we don't need to help them spread faster to kill our forests.
See the emerald ash borer.

But, from begreen I surmise that not all states have restrictions (likely in casez where all invasives have spread already).

Begreen thanks so much for the image of that cabinet/shelving/chase you used for plumbing and electrical.
Showed the wife and she liked it a lot! We can do similar and maybe even find already made cabinets for either
side that will work.

I'm glad she liked it. Play with some ideas and keep her as the lead in the design. Let her have some fun with it.

The point is that we don't need to help them spread faster to kill our forests.
See the emerald ash borer.

But, from begreen I surmise that not all states have restrictions (likely in casez where all invasives have spread already).
Yeah I don't need to help the little buggers.....but even though we moved across state lines we're still in the same
ecosystem/flora/fauna/etc. I'm sure what it here is there and vice versa. Not long ago a neighbor (semi elderly woman who raise
peacocks) asked me to kill a raccoon she'd trapped (trying to get the bird eggs). I told her nope. She asked if I would haul the 'coon
away. I said nope, that what if the 'coon she'd trapped had rabies and the place where I dropped him off didn't. Kinda same principal
I believe. There's plenty of wood all around me. Next door neighbor has 9 acres of trees and recently asked if I wanted to clear some
of his land for the wood. I told him if I was younger (approaching 70) I'd be all over it but at my age probably couldn't do it fast enough to suit him. He wants to expand pasture land. Hey if things got real bad I can burn furniture. Just saying.

I'm glad she liked it. Play with some ideas and keep her as the lead in the design. Let her have some fun with it.
Roger that! She's got a good eye for decorating and I think you're right in that she'll enjoy puzzling it out.
I still can't believe its done, well almost.