Tarm solo 40 refractory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Has anyone made their own refractory? I just can't afford Tarm's price.

Last edited:
if you search on this forum "which refractory cement for wood boiler nozzle" there are some answers. Same here econoburn wanted $180 for a nozzle so i made a few of my own for a few bucks.

Do you know the weight of the pieces you need? If you know the weight, see how many 10 or 25 lbs buckets of refractory you're going to need. The cost of refractory may be as much as the pieces you need!
Curing the refractory is also very important!

tarm wants $1511.40 for the complete refractory kit.

Sounds like a fair price to me!
If you make own parts and don't do it right the first time you will end up doing it a second time.
When I bought the Vedolux, I spent $3,300 for a complete spare set of refractory, three nozzles, blower, oxygen sensor, and a couple of other things. This price did not include freight and custom charges!