Tacoma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yep, Hilux are highly regarded trucks here. I was about to buy one 2years ago, but decided for the Ranger as it has more equipment for the same money. Higher Hps too with a smaller engine.

My dream truck when I wear this one out would be a diesel tacoma with a man pedal to the left of the brake pedal. Manual roll up windows. Tow package, 4wd, good heater.

That is my dream as well. We think alike.

I plan on tow package and TRD package for sure.

as far as leg room is concerned, I'm 6' 4" 220 and I don't even have to slide the seat back all the way to feel comfortable in my 2009 4 door TRD Sport. I've overloaded the bed with logs and drywall without problem and would buy another with no hesitation. Had a tree fall on it during a storm this fall and State Farm was willing to put almost $10K into fixing it, instead of totally it out, which speaks volumes to the value they hold.

I'm driving a '14 Tacoma TRD/OR double cab... I love it and it fits my needs. Having said that:

#1 - it is true that other brands full size trucks get the same mileage and can be as cheap with all the incentives on domestics - but in my case I wanted something that fits in my garage, and I trust Toyota mechanical reliability

#2 - The rust was a huge issue. I have a friend who had 2 Tacos in a row bought back. And the problem is that the frames where rusting from the inside out in the fully boxed forward section and sometimes it was not easy to see until it got bad. The later models, including mine, have more cutouts for drainage in that area and so far I havent heard of any rust recalls for my year - but I watch it like a hawk, and have got into the habit of spraying fluid film on the frame annually.

#4 Not everybody likes the composite bed. It cant ever rust but I have heard of people breaking it, particularly the tailgate liner. Ive never had a problem and I jump on the tailgate with all of my 220lb, FWIW.

#5 If you plan to do serious offloading you cant beat a TRD/OR Taco. Same 4x4 and traction control as FJ's are legendary for. One thing I like is that they don't have that low front damn like the Colorado does so you can barrel thought 2 foot snowbanks like they are not there :)

#6 The latest generation changed a LOT. The old tank of a 4.0/5sp (still uses old fashioned copper spark plugs!!) was replaced with a direct injection 3.5 & 6AT... Improves the mileage but some reviews don't seem to like it so much. But they also added some more flexibility to the 4x4 modes and finally update the interior so it doesn't look like 1995 anymore ;) . And added lots of little things everybody else has had forever like automatic climate and a locking tailgate. Reliability report from Truedelta, edmunds etc seem to indicate that quality has dropped off a little... Or maybe its just that everyone else is finally catching up to Toyota...
After reading on forums I jumped on the Fluid Film bandwagon here in Wisconsin. Where was this stuff all these years? It is awesome and should be used on any truck that will see winter salt on the roads that is of course if you want it to last. Also my dad is on his 4th Tacoma, I don't think you can find a better "little" truck. They are reliable and capable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Almost as good as fluid film is bar and chain oil. Modify your paint sprayer a bit so no oils are aerosolized, you don't want to breathe that. When done with modification of the sprayer it should piss a thin stream of bar and chain oil where you want it. Take the big threaded cap off the front of the sprayer
and throw it away. Drill out the spray hole a bit but not too much. Take the cap off the back where the pin is accessed. Throw this cap away. Manipulate the pin
with your fingers to either start the flow of oil or cut it off.

The soon to be released ford ranger in the USA looks ok. The 2.3 ecoboost 4cylinder engine
should be very strong and durable. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a manual transmission will be available. USA is a truck luxury market
targeting wealthy suburban commuters.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I owned a 2013 and my brother owns a newer one. Neither of us ever got better than 16 mpg around town and maybe 19-20 on a trip. My 2017 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and 4 wd averages 20 around town and 25 on a trip.
The F150 is light years ago of the Tacoma.

From what it looks like, they are using a new 3.5 in the tacomas. I am sure this is for MPGs so what experiences are people having with this engine?

I test drove a beautiful new Tacoma last spring. Too small for me inside and I found the driving position to be odd, but to each their own. I ended up with an F150 with the 5.0 in it and have not looked back. 19mpg combined avg, tons of power, and I can stretch out my long legs if I want.

For what it's worth, my brother has been a Toyota tech for 20 years and will tell you if you ask him that the Tacomas are great trucks but overpriced. He only buys used though so thinks anything new is overpriced. Whatever you get OP post up pics, I love seeing other peoples trucks, chainsaws, woodpiles, and woodsheds.

I'm the original owner of an '02 SR5 extra cab 4wd 6-cylinder with camper shell. W/o looking, maybe 125k miles. Used engine oil analysis indicates a supremely well-wearing engine. But I refuse to flog the engine. Engine oil analysis indicates I can run run Mobil-One Full Synthetic for almost 9k miles.

Having said that, frame-rot is my primary issue. Had to replace the rear bumper for that reason. The underside of the truck is ugly. Definitely affected emergency brake stuff as well as rear brakes. Exhaust system has not fared well. Lots of muffler/tailpipe stuff going on.

Paint still looks amazing for a 16 y/o vehicle. I pull a trailer at almost 6k lbs GVWR every weekend. 15 mpg guaranteed. Just traveling, I "might" get 20 mpg with a tailwind. I got TEN YEARS out of a set of Michelin LTX tires, but they dropped MPG by 2 mpg due to weight and rolling resistance. The camper shell added 2 mpg on the interstate. Life is crazy, isn't it? DANA Corp definitely left out the "please don't rust" part of the steel formulation.

I DO NOT WANT A BIGGER TRUCK. I see these behemoths rolling down the road and wonder "why"? Are they doing any work? I want to be able to park, get into my garage, or make a U-turn.

Having owned a few GM vehicles that were worthless after six years, this thing is still a dream after 16 years. Helper springs, camper shell, better aftermarket struts, camper shell and aftermarket towing package make this the last truck I'll ever buy. If the cost of putting my body/engine on a new frame is $10K, I'll do that in a minute compared to buying a new truck based on some salesman's pitch.

Yes, the ergonomics of a 6'1" dude aren't great, but it's bearable. I figure you pay for the cost of repairs in the purchase price, or the actual repairs. I've been lucky it's the former.

I'm the original owner of an '02 SR5 extra cab 4wd 6-cylinder with camper shell. W/o looking, maybe 125k miles. Used engine oil analysis indicates a supremely well-wearing engine. But I refuse to flog the engine. Engine oil analysis indicates I can run run Mobil-One Full Synthetic for almost 9k miles.

Having said that, frame-rot is my primary issue. Had to replace the rear bumper for that reason. The underside of the truck is ugly. Definitely affected emergency brake stuff as well as rear brakes. Exhaust system has not fared well. Lots of muffler/tailpipe stuff going on.

Paint still looks amazing for a 16 y/o vehicle. I pull a trailer at almost 6k lbs GVWR every weekend. 15 mpg guaranteed. Just traveling, I "might" get 20 mpg with a tailwind. I got TEN YEARS out of a set of Michelin LTX tires, but they dropped MPG by 2 mpg due to weight and rolling resistance. The camper shell added 2 mpg on the interstate. Life is crazy, isn't it? DANA Corp definitely left out the "please don't rust" part of the steel formulation.

I DO NOT WANT A BIGGER TRUCK. I see these behemoths rolling down the road and wonder "why"? Are they doing any work? I want to be able to park, get into my garage, or make a U-turn.

Having owned a few GM vehicles that were worthless after six years, this thing is still a dream after 16 years. Helper springs, camper shell, better aftermarket struts, camper shell and aftermarket towing package make this the last truck I'll ever buy. If the cost of putting my body/engine on a new frame is $10K, I'll do that in a minute compared to buying a new truck based on some salesman's pitch.

Yes, the ergonomics of a 6'1" dude aren't great, but it's bearable. I figure you pay for the cost of repairs in the purchase price, or the actual repairs. I've been lucky it's the former.

So you regularly tow a trailer 1000 lbs over the towing capacity with a vehicle that has a rusty frame and affected rear brakes???

What could possibly go wrong.

Reactions: Ashful and Tegbert
I owned two 4Runners, one of which I believe at the time was built on the same frame of the Tacoma.

They were OK vehicles. I did have an issue with the rear axle housing where the rear differential is located rusting through and at the time the only fix was to buy the entire axle housing which was a bit expensive.

Only other concern was the lack of power . . . towing my ATV or sled (not to mention firewood) showed the severe lack of torque in the V-6 motor. Ended up buying a Nissan Titan with a V-8 which was a definite improvement.

So you regularly tow a trailer 1000 lbs over the towing capacity with a vehicle that has a rusty frame and affected rear brakes???

What could possibly go wrong.

Appreciate the concern. I get the frame inspected annually or every service event. Front and rear brakes completely rebuilt with OEM gear by award winning Toyota tech, including the emergency brake system. Upgraded leaf springs, helper springs and struts. Class 5 towing stuff throughout.

The frame rot has certainly caused a lot of grief with the early demise of several mufflers and the emergency brake plus a rear bumper.

The manual says truck and trailer together no more than 7,000 pounds. Per CAT scales I'm at 6,000 pounds.

And I'm a firm believer that anything can go wrong at any time! ;-)

Guess I forgot to add the part about me maintaining it!!

Reactions: bholler
Appreciate the concern. I get the frame inspected annually or every service event. Front and rear brakes completely rebuilt with OEM gear by award winning Toyota tech, including the emergency brake system. Upgraded leaf springs, helper springs and struts. Class 5 towing stuff throughout.

The frame rot has certainly caused a lot of grief with the early demise of several mufflers and the emergency brake plus a rear bumper.

The manual says truck and trailer together no more than 7,000 pounds. Per CAT scales I'm at 6,000 pounds.

And I'm a firm believer that anything can go wrong at any time! ;-)

Guess I forgot to add the part about me maintaining it!!
Fair enough. But you said a 6k trailer before not 6k combined. That is why i commented

Fair enough. But you said a 6k trailer before not 6k combined. That is why i commented

If you see something, say something! :) That's why we're here.

I thought I used the term GVWR, but it wouldn't be the first (or the last) time I've used a technical term incorrectly. I appreciate any and all cautions because I usually am flying by the seat of my pants.

If you see something, say something! :) That's why we're here.

I thought I used the term GVWR, but it wouldn't be the first (or the last) time I've used a technical term incorrectly. I appreciate any and all cautions because I usually am flying by the seat of my pants.
You did but only in reference to the trailer

If you are going to change full synthetic oil at 9k, don't bother with the price.
Dino oil is good for 10k, I have oil analysis records for 22k miles full synthetic.

If you are going to change full synthetic oil at 9k, don't bother with the price.
Dino oil is good for 10k, I have oil analysis records for 22k miles full synthetic.

YIKES! This is new info. Of course, I can't possibly evaluate the conclusion of Blackstone Labs. But they seem very much science based, answer questions, and provide detailed analysis.

I get the additional option for how much additive is left in the oil.

Of course my engine will be 17 years old in Feb. They always preface results with "your engine" and "your oil" in a class of engines like mine. I'll guess they're seeing stuff in the oil they'd prefer to not be there. Perhaps the metals they measure also cause additional wear. My engine might be a real dog compared to yours for any number of reasons.

Hell, I thought I was pushing it at 5k. Anything that can remove doubt and result in less oil consumption is worth the money in my book.

The other thing is that I'm pulling a trailer on most weekends. Sometimes it's 20 miles. Other times it's 80 miles. I have another peculiar habit of only using premium, unless the price is insane. I swear I can tell the difference when the truck drops out of overdrive on the interstate going up the same hills over and over again with the same load.

Who is your lab, if I might ask? Thanks.

Last edited:
I owned two 4Runners,

Only other concern was the lack of power . . . towing my ATV or sled (not to mention firewood) showed the severe lack of torque in the V-6 motor. Ended up buying a Nissan Titan with a V-8 which was a definite improvement.

If you think the V6 lacked power, you should drive my 4runner that has the 2.7 4cyl with an automatic. 263k, 18 years old, conventional oil every 5k, trans fluid every 10k, and still going as strong as ever.
I've had 5 Toyotas (own 2 currently) and the 2.7 really is a fantastic engine.

A guy in the business next to ours has a (I'm gonna guess) 2005-2006 Tacoma. It was gone for a few months - he drove what appeared to be a new loaner Tacoma. He got his Tacoma back a few weeks ago with a new frame, so it seems Toyota is still making good on the rusted frame replacements. at least with some trucks.

Last winter I test drove a 2005 Tacoma TRD extended cab. It had 192k miles, listed for $7995. I didn't like the 'sport' exhaust, the dealer said they'd reinstall the stock exhaust. Continued looking - then a week and a half later saw it listed for $8995 - asked the dealer what's up with that? They said a couple customers were in a bidding war! As expected, it sold a few days later.They must be good trucks.

At the time I was going to trade in the SUV I had for one vehicle, so I wanted the versatility of an extended cab, smaller truck - but still wanted a truck for hauling firewood. Ended up buying a an older Silverado with an 8' bed and an old Honda Accord. I can get away with high mileage vehicles since I have a company van. If I did settle on one vehicle only a Tacoma would certainly be on the list (preferably with a manual transmission), but they were so hard to find in the price range I had to work with.

Last edited:
I don't dispute them being good trucks but I couldn't justify spending the money on one. When I was in the market a few years ago I priced out a Tacoma and then some full size trucks. I bought my F150 for less than a Tacoma and it's bigger, more comfortable, can haul and tow more, has a 360 HP V-8 and gets better gas mileage than a Tacoma.

Chimney Smoke,

You make a good point. All I can say is reliability of the Toyota and high resale value seem to be how some folks justify a Tacoma. Just sayin & I am open to other options too. Three time Tacoma owner.

I don't dispute them being good trucks but I couldn't justify spending the money on one. When I was in the market a few years ago I priced out a Tacoma and then some full size trucks. I bought my F150 for less than a Tacoma and it's bigger, more comfortable, can haul and tow more, has a 360 HP V-8 and gets better gas mileage than a Tacoma.

Interesting your V8 gets better mpgs than some Tacomas. My Silverado with the 5.3L V8 gets at least as good or maybe even slightly better mpgs than my Honda Pilot did.

A guy in the business next to ours has a (I'm gonna guess) 2005-2006 Tacoma. It was gone for a few months - he drove what appeared to be a new loaner Tacoma. He got his Tacoma back a few weeks ago with a new frame, so it seems Toyota is still making good on the rusted frame replacements. at least with some trucks.

Last winter I test drove a 2005 Tacoma TRD extended cab. It had 192k miles, listed for $7995. I didn't like the 'sport' exhaust, the dealer said they'd reinstall the stock exhaust. Continued looking - then a week and a half later saw it listed for $8995 - asked the dealer what's up with that? They said a couple customers were in a bidding war! As expected, it sold a few days later.They must be good trucks.

At the time I was going to trade in the SUV I had for one vehicle, so I wanted the versatility of an extended cab, smaller truck - but still wanted a truck for hauling firewood. Ended up buying a an older Silverado with an 8' bed and an old Honda Accord. I can get away with high mileage vehicles since I have a company van. If I did settle on one vehicle only a Tacoma would certainly be on the list (preferably with a manual transmission), but they were so hard to find in the price range I had to work with.

In 2017 Toyota replaced the frame on my 2005 Tacoma. It’s a 4 cylinder, 5 speed 4wd extended cab. I keep it in pristine condition but I do use it for real work and occasional heavy hauling. I was amazed how quickly they replaced the frame once they took it in. The dealer said they have 2 guys that have been strictly replacing frames for over 3 years now. I had them replace the front shocks and other wear items on the front end. Frame comes with new leaf springs, brake lines, wiring harness, everything attached to the frame is new on the frame kit from the factory. Cost me one large and it’s like a brand new truck. Funny thing is it cost me $20,000 new in 2005. About 6 months after the replacement the dealership sends me a sale promo offering me $20,000 for trade in on a new truck. Plan on keeping this one till the end of days.

In 2017 Toyota replaced the frame on my 2005 Tacoma. It’s a 4 cylinder, 5 speed 4wd extended cab.....

If I could have found that - it would be the ideal single vehicle for me, 4 cylinder 4wd, extended cab and especially 5 speed manual. In these parts those are so rare, maybe because everyone wants to keep them. Nice you've got a new frame now. Certainly worth putting the money into that for the other things. Unlike most vehicles it didn't drop thousands in value after driving it new off the lot.

In 2017 Toyota replaced the frame on my 2005 Tacoma. It’s a 4 cylinder, 5 speed 4wd extended cab. I keep it in pristine condition but I do use it for real work and occasional heavy hauling. I was amazed how quickly they replaced the frame once they took it in. The dealer said they have 2 guys that have been strictly replacing frames for over 3 years now. I had them replace the front shocks and other wear items on the front end. Frame comes with new leaf springs, brake lines, wiring harness, everything attached to the frame is new on the frame kit from the factory. Cost me one large and it’s like a brand new truck. Funny thing is it cost me $20,000 new in 2005. About 6 months after the replacement the dealership sends me a sale promo offering me $20,000 for trade in on a new truck. Plan on keeping this one till the end of days.

Oddly, if I'd have taken worse care of my truck it'd be in better shape!! If I'd kept it outside, the frame would have failed inside the warranty period. The frame would have been replaced by now and several rust related issues would not have occurred. Oh, the irony...

I figure you're going to pay for something one way or another. I concluded that repairs you're not going to need are included in the purchase price. I bought an '02 and paid it off in '05. Haven't had a car payment for 13 years. Probably spend $1k/year in repairs, etc. Sure, it's a PITA when stuff happens, but "no car payment" sure has ended up with a lot of guitars hanging on my wall. ;-)

"Power" is a real issue for me. I wonder where does the gas go? I don't do burnouts or floor the thing, and it's a great day with the camper shell and a tailwind that I get 20 mpg... Pulling a trailer or humping firewood is always 15 mpg.

BUT, the paint is nearly flawless after 16 years. I never owned a GM vehicle where the clear coat lasted six years. Why didn't they make the whole thing out of the paint??

Yes, I would buy my truck again. And knowing what I know now, I'd take better care of it.

Reactions: AlbergSteve