Switch from Non-EPA Wood Insert to EPA Lopi Insert Worth It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If the existing insert has never been pulled for cleaning, and it is a true slammer install, you most likely are going to find a ton of crap that has been swept down, but never cleaned out over the years. Not a good thing, and a blaze waiting to happen.

Yeah when I cleaned there was a lot of creosote back there. Not a good feeling... Wondering if I should just line the chimney and keep using the smoke dragon with a new liner?

Yeah when I cleaned there was a lot of creosote back there. Not a good feeling... Wondering if I should just line the chimney and keep using the smoke dragon with a new liner?
Line the chimney with insulated liner, and install the new used stove. Safe, wood savings, peace of mind, more heat less fuss.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Line the chimney with insulated liner, and install the new used stove. Safe, wood savings, peace of mind, more heat less fuss.

Do you think a 3.0 firebox is overkill for my 1000 sq ft house? I don't wanna limp the stove all the time, but I do like it around 72-75 inside.

I guess your landlord/ friend is WAY better at math than I am , I can’t work an equation where a dead tenant from an known hazardous condition is cheaper than killing someone or allowing your own property to burn answer this question honestly to yourself , did he ensure you have a working CO detecter after learning stove is not properly vented ? Did he supply a 40- fire ext to combat the very real possibility of a fire ? Sounds like a slumlord hopefully it’s just you there , and not children or others who aren’t even aware they are in danger . Be safe

I guess your landlord/ friend is WAY better at math than I am , I can’t work an equation where a dead tenant from an known hazardous condition is cheaper than killing someone or allowing your own property to burn answer this question honestly to yourself , did he ensure you have a working CO detecter after learning stove is not properly vented ? Did he supply a 40- fire ext to combat the very real possibility of a fire ? Sounds like a slumlord hopefully it’s just you there , and not children or others who aren’t even aware they are in danger . Be safe

Yeah, he's just ignorant on the danger. We put new smoke alarm/CO2 detectors in every room.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Do you think a 3.0 firebox is overkill for my 1000 sq ft house? I don't wanna limp the stove all the time, but I do like it around 72-75 inside.
No worse then the old smoke dragon running. Put 2.0cf of wood fuel load in, and you'll get 2.0 load worth of heat. Smaller loads are completely doable. The biggest thing is you will need drier wood than the old stove could munch on. There will also be a "relearning" of your burning habits, which will most likely change due to how the newer stoves are run. You can also load larger splits to slow down the load consumption, and extend burn times.

Worst case scenario, crack a window open. You should find the newer stove gives more control than the old one. The older stoves are toss in a crapload of wood, crank the knobs a few times and repeat.
You'll also be loading the stove less often, and be able to sleep through the night and have plenty to reload on in the morning.

Reactions: Dix
No worse then the old smoke dragon running. Put 2.0cf of wood fuel load in, and you'll get 2.0 load worth of heat. Smaller loads are completely doable. The biggest thing is you will need drier wood than the old stove could munch on. There will also be a "relearning" of your burning habits, which will most likely change due to how the newer stoves are run. You can also load larger splits to slow down the load consumption, and extend burn times.

Worst case scenario, crack a window open. You should find the newer stove gives more control than the old one. The older stoves are toss in a crapload of wood, crank the knobs a few times and repeat.
You'll also be loading the stove less often, and be able to sleep through the night and have plenty to reload on in the morning.

Thanks for the tips :)

Reactions: Dix and Hogwildz
For $100, get it! Install it with a liner. If you don't like it, sell it for a profit and buy a smaller stove. You could probably sell it for enough to fully cover the cost of a smaller, new budget insert from Lowe's.
FWIW, one of my neighbors replaced an old insert with a freedom this year. He loves it. His house is around 1800sf.

The peace of mind alone, makes it more than worth it.

Get your firewood in order !!!

Bio bricks, maybe, to help you out. Pallets, too !!

Welcome to the forums !

Got the new stove installed and absolutely love it! Heats the house perfectly and the wood lasts so much longer. Repainted and cleaned it up. Here's a couple before and after photos. IMG_0462.jpeg IMG_0468.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely looks cleaner but that is real brass that got painted over that would shine up nicely. It cost several hundreds more as an option even way back when.

It definitely looks cleaner but that is real brass that got painted over that would shine up nicely. It cost several hundreds more as an option even way back when.

Yeah, I figured that. I'm just not a fan of the 90's gold trim look. I like the clean black better. Wish it had been the model with nickel trim instead.