Summer's heat 2000 (Madison)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Still working on learning the stove. Seems I need to
1)cross the wood to get some good coals
2)load the wood on a hot bed E/W to get a sustained burn
I'm afraid to put more than about four splits in it. It runs up to 550 pretty quick, sometimes 600, then after 20 minutes starts slowly dropping down.
Here is four splits after 45 minutes to an hour after a reload with the air shut down. Currently at just under 500 on top which is fine but I'm afraid if the initial climb if I want to load it full for all night (What is full? One course on the bottom, or another course of wood on top?).
So, how many logs is too many, and do you load them tightly as if you were stacking a wood pile or give them room to breath? Would 1/2 or 1/4 logs be better than a pile of 1/8 splits?

View attachment 188981

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Normally the stove it packed tightly for the longest burn time. Criss crossing wood will allow more air around the splits. That can result in a hotter burn. A stove top temp of 650F is not uncommon. Turning down the air as quickly as possible will help lower peak temp.

Myself, I don't even raise an eyebrow until the temp passes 750

Yes, when our thermometer does a full 360 I pay attention but have hit 750º more than once.

Yes, when our thermometer does a full 360 I pay attention but have hit 750º more than once.

And............where on that T6 stovetop do you place your thermometer? (Most therms don't do a 360).

In front of front and to the left of the flue, positioned so that I can read it through the trivet grate. I have a great old Sandhill thermometer on the stove. It came with our 1979 VC Resolute when we bought it and I have kept it since. Still accurate within 5º. The Castine was more likely to jump up to 750º if I didn't close down the air soon enough, though with locust the T6 will go there too.

Summer's heat 2000 (Madison)

Baffles slide to the front or back?

Baffles to the back since the flue exit is near the back (smoke & flame should roll forward to the front of the stove before rounding the baffle, so the smoke has farther to travel before entering the flue)

I normally run my Madison between 400 and 500. No issues yet. I just use a stove top magnetic thernometer to keep an eye. She generally runs closer to 350-400 though unless I pack a good 4-5 big splits in for the night.

How often are you emptying ashes? I was doing it every other day but if you run it hotter it seems to take a week before I have to empty.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Every couple,3,4 days but it's more of pre light thing when it's cold. Even then it seems not to "need" it. By the time I rake the coals and form a trough the ash seems pretty beat down. What didn't fly all over and land on top of the stove anyway.

Reactions: WayneN
I've gone to using a little flower bed hand rake thing I closed the prongs up a bit on to rake the coals from the ash.

In one of my original posts, I indicated I was going to use the stove for power outages and ambiance on date night.
I just wanted to thank you folks for your help. Ive been burning regularly and trying to teach my wife to use it too. I still haven't worked my way up to a full load yet, but it burns clean and only need to clean the glass occasionally. Mostly if it gets hazy I just heat it up and burn it off.
Re lights off of next to no coals are becoming easier in the mornings since I'm still a little timid about packing her to the gills and going to bed.
Thanks again. I'm about out of wood but working on next year's stock already.

Reactions: spirilis
Good to hear you are making progress with your burn times/methods/comfort level. Also reminds me of feeling like you not to long ago when considering load size/sleeping while it runs etc.! The more comfy you get with the stove the more you will like running it. And my wife has become very good at it as well. Even my new cat equipped model. The wife even joins me as I css. Enjoy.

Don't feel bad -- I have been running our stove for 8 yrs. & I don't "pack it to the gills" for overnight burns either. I have found 2 or 3 fir, maple, ash, or cherry logs of the 5"-8" size (or real large splits) will hold the fire all night & still give me plenty of coals in the morning -- probably about 2/3 full. Stove-top is still a nice 250-300F in the AM. You will get more comfortable with the stove, the more you use it & will find what is safe to burn overnight with an almost full load.

Don't feel bad -- I have been running our stove for 8 yrs. & I don't "pack it to the gills" for overnight burns either. I have found 2 or 3 fir, maple, ash, or cherry logs of the 5"-8" size (or real large splits) will hold the fire all night & still give me plenty of coals in the morning -- probably about 2/3 full. Stove-top is still a nice 250-300F in the AM. You will get more comfortable with the stove, the more you use it & will find what is safe to burn overnight with an almost full load.
I concur. I never need to pack it to the gills. Mine runs a bit cooler in the morning because I only load it about half packed. Still plenty of coals 6-7 hours later to drop in a few small splits on the coals to get them going. Once the splits catch I drop on slightly bigger ( 4 -5 inch splits )....roughly 3-4 of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk