Summer's heat 2000 (Madison)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

30WCF

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
In an 1100 sq ft home with a semi open floor plan for the living room, dining/kitchen will the 2000 run me out. With the blower? Without the blower? The bedrooms are down a hall. Thinking mostly as a back up and movie night on the couch. Although a fan would get it down the short hall way to the bedrooms in short order.

I am attracted to its price, and clearances for a small home with only spark/ember protection.

Last edited:
Stove will be in living room.
Bathroom door in line of sight of the stove 10'
Dining/kitchen directly to the side through a 5' wide arch.
Bedrooms down hall 3' to the side of the stove then back towards the rear of the house.

Any thoughts? Also this likely isn't our forever home.

It should be fine, just don't pack it clear full of wood if you don't want a ton of heat...more wood = more heat...

I have the super vent flat ceiling kit and the stove now. The adjustable double stove pipe is in the mail. That should make a smooth one piece connection.

The manual calls for a type 1 or equivalent spark and ember only, and specifically says, " No R-value required.".
I cut , filed, and sanded the edges on an 1/8" sheet of steel and high temp painted it. To pad/insulate/allow for shifting the stove around, I put the steel on a piece of black felt cut to recess under the steel a touch. It slides easily without marring the floor with most of my weight required to move it.
We are still trying to decide on centering it on the wall, room, or what feels to be the center of the room with the couch layout. Either way it's within a foot either side of where it will set. Corners and all edges are rounded and smooth to prevent a toenail from being harvested.
Clearances are listed at 7.5" off the back. We have it at about 9.5". Double wall will be at 14" which may allow for a thin mantle later on down the road.
Pictured is single wall I originally purchased with the ceiling trim just to get an idea for positioning.

Any questions, concerns, or recommendations are welcome.

Manual pgs 7 & 16
http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/794909501514_install.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneN
For searchability sake this is the Summer's Heat 50‐SHSSW01

That install is looking really good. Very simple and clean. The wall paneling behind the stove is a good fit.

For searchability sake this is the Summer's Heat 50‐SHSSW01

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Lowes web sight had it listed as one thing. The manual has three models on it. The stove has three models on the tag and the box had two different models on two different stickers.
All models seem to be ember only so I think I'm good.
Kinda makes you wonder. I called tech yesterday and they didn't know they made one that was spark and ember only. (Apparently they make three). I was also told that a double wall stove pipe adapter was required. I called super vent (Selkirk) and was asked a few questions and assured no adapter was needed. 1/8" collar not required... 1/4" collar would need an adapter.

I guess I would have felt better to stay ignorant and hired someone to install and me not know any better.

The 3 models are all the same stove made by Englander. They are branded differently depending on who is selling them. (Englander, Summer's Heat and TimberRidge) 15-SSW01 is Englander branding. This stove is nicknamed the Madison.

The 3 models are all the same stove made by Englander. They are branded differently depending on who is selling them. (Englander, Summer's Heat and TimberRidge) 15-SSWW01 is Englander branding.

Thanks. Good explanation.

That install is looking really good. Very simple and clean. The wall paneling behind the stove is a good fit.

Thanks. I wanted to stay unobtrusive. You really can't tell when you step on the floor protection it's so thin. The walls are the original tongue and groove pine from when this was built in the early 50's.
If we ever move I wanted to be able to patch a couple holes and take all with me without anyone being none the wiser that there was ever a stove there.

Last edited:
Any recommendations or brands to stay away from on stove thermometers and mms?

The Gear forum here has info on thermometers and moisture meters.

Another question is about the 2/10 chimney rule. About 6" behind that wall is a brick chimney that I don't know what it was originally for. It currently runs the propane furnace in the crawl space out the top of it. I'd guess it is over or close to two feet above the peak. So my new through the roof kit will be about 20" beside and slightly lower than where the old brick one comes out. Do I need to go two feet above this brick chimney? 4' above the peak. I'm guessing 2' above peak(level with brick chimney) will have mr Round 13'. Old house with new windows. Plenty of air leaks for drafting around the doors and such.

Last edited:
Any recommendations or brands to stay away from on stove thermometers and mms?

I don't know which ones to avoid . . . but I am partial to Condar thermometers as I have had good luck with mine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I got the ceiling support in yesterday. I'll try to post some pics later but there are two electrical wires that are very close to my insulation guard. I can staple them so they don't touch it. Do they need to be further away? The closest one will probably be a couple inches off the insulation shield when stapled. It is the old braided coating wire.

Should be fine at that distance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tracking shows my double wall stove pipe is "Out for Delivery".
Will it need screws at the telescoping joint or just ceiling box and stove collar?

You will need screws at all joints.

Ok thanks. I was thinking there will be about 15" of overlap in the center of the telescoping pipe so it couldn't come apart as long as the top and bottom were secure. I'll put a few in the middle as well.

Is this gap an issue? I think the inner pieces of the double wall telescopic pipe meet better. It this just cosmetic?