Sugar Maple Kicking In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
They forecast -12 tonight so I have some sugar maple in the Lopi Liberty, stove top temp 675 and flue temp 475.
Attached are two pictures, one with the lights on and one with them off.

zap

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Sugar Maple Kicking In
    100_2499.webp
    53 KB · Views: 618
  • [Hearth.com] Sugar Maple Kicking In
    100_2500.webp
    35.2 KB · Views: 606
Nice, would you prefer seasoned Sugar Maple, Or seasoned Oak.? (forget about time to season) Which in your opinion would you rather burn?

cptoneleg said:
Nice, would you prefer seasoned Sugar Maple, Or seasoned Oak.? (forget about time to season) Which in your opinion would you rather burn?

I've never burned oak so I'll stay with sugar maple. I'm getting 10 hour burn times with the sugar maple.

zap

PapaDave said:
zap, if you ever get the chance to get some oak, do it.
Of course, it'll take a while to dry, but it's great firewood.

PapaDave, I thought about it but we have enough ironwood on our property which has higher btu's so we'll be burning that starting next year.

zap

Just trying to learn, I purchased a great deal of my firewood in the past 25yr. Spent 90% of my life away from home, am retired now ( thats what laid off folks over 62 yr old call it ) And am learning my woods and I have as much sugar maple as I do Oak. Never seperated my wood before , but now have stacks of oak , cherry, sugar maple, don't know how I had time to go to Work on a regular job.

cptoneleg said:
Just trying to learn, I purchased a great deal of my firewood in the past 25yr. Spent 90% of my life away from home, am retired now ( thats what laid off folks over 62 yr old call it ) And am learning my woods and I have as much sugar maple as I do Oak. Never seperated my wood before , but now have stacks of oak , cherry, sugar maple, don't know how I had time to go to Work on a regular job.

I just take what wood has blown down plus leaners and dead standing. We seperate our wood and with the cold weather lately the sugar maple is our go to wood.

Next year we'll have plenty of beech and sugar maple for our go to wood.

zap

zapny said:
cptoneleg said:

I just take what wood has blown down plus leaners and dead standing. We seperate our wood and with the cold weather lately the sugar maple is our go to wood.

Next year we'll have plenty of beech and sugar maple for our go to wood.

zap

Thanks am going to concentate on the sugar maple c/s/s From what I understand seasons good in a year?

Oak blows away sugar maple, period.
Better yet to mix the both.
The maple leaves alot of ash, burns quicker than oak.
Oak burns long, leaves good coals, and little ash. MOre btu to oak than maple.

Such is the dichotomy that is my life- as a wood burner, sugar maple burns really nice, as a syrup hobbyist, seeing those wonderful sap sources fall to the ground brings a tear to my eye.

Hard maple does extremely well and there is not a huge difference between it and oak. So feel good about your maple Zap.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hard maple does extremely well and there is not a huge difference between it and oak. So feel good about your maple Zap.

I'll take it and if I had Oak on the property I would have some of that also. Just the fact that Sugar Maple takes one year to season is another reason I like it over Oak.

zap

zapny said:
I'll take it and if I had Oak on the property I would have some of that also. Just the fact that Sugar Maple takes one year to season is another reason I like it over Oak.

How close is your nearest Oak tree? I think we have one in a mature 60 acres of forest. And, that is the only one I have seen in the area.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

How close is your nearest Oak tree? I think we have one in a mature 60 acres of forest. And, that is the only one I have seen in the area.

Solar if you head about 7-10 miles north towrds Potsdam New York It's loaded with them. This one guy had 10-12 removed from his front yard so they would get more sun but left the one nearest the house.

From our house you can go another 5-6 miles east and they have them, my neighbor has one that is just inside the property line next to our line so maybe one day we will have some.

zap

Huh, must be the elevation the camp is at.

I was thinking softer Maples.
It is true. Sugar is not much different than Oak. Both fine burning woods, burn what ya got.
I had some softer stuff and it left alot of ash, but less coals. I still say a good mix is best for burning. Too much of a coaling wood leaves just that, too many coals. A good mix for me seems to burn nicely and not leave too much ash or too much coals.
Heck I'll burn whatever I can get in the stove. Pine is great for burning excess coals down and getting heat while it is in the process.
Enjoy what you have.

Hogwildz said:
I was thinking softer Maples.
It is true. Sugar is not much different than Oak. Both fine burning woods, burn what ya got.
I had some softer stuff and it left alot of ash, but less coals. I still say a good mix is best for burning. Too much of a coaling wood leaves just that, too many coals. A good mix for me seems to burn nicely and not leave too much ash or too much coals.
Heck I'll burn whatever I can get in the stove. Pine is great for burning excess coals down and getting heat while it is in the process.
Enjoy what you have.

Hogwildz, I think your correct on the ashes for the Sugar Maple. I throw some Cherry on which does a good job burning the coals down.

zap

Speaking of burning what 'ya got, I forgot that I put some of the spruce from last spring farther back in the shed. I should be about 2 weeks from where's it's at, but I could grab it now if I wanted to. I'll try to keep it for April or May.
I just got into the popple/maple/oak that was left from last year. Hog is right, the soft maple leaves lots of fluffy ash. Well, so does the popple.
Might try putting that stuff aside and just burn the oak until this latest cold snap goes away.
Burn on with whatever ya got, and stay warm.

zapny said:
cptoneleg said:

I've never burned oak so I'll stay with sugar maple. I'm getting 10 hour burn times with the sugar maple.

Zap do you use a pipe damper on the Liberty ?

zap

Rich L said:
zapny said:
cptoneleg said:

No we don't, seems like we have good control without it.

zap

zap

Zap, do you have any black birch? I've been burning straight loads of it for about a week, and I have to say, it just hopped clean over hard maple on my preferred woods list. Not that there's anything wrong with sugar, not at all. Just that the black birch seems to last forever, has perfect coaling qualities and doesn't leave a lot of ashes. And it is really puts out some ferocious heat. I've often said that sugar maple is like cherry on steroids. Well, black birch is like sugar maple on crack. I wonder how it compares with ironwood... a wood I've never burned in my life.

Battenkiller said:
Zap, do you have any black birch? I've been burning straight loads of it for about a week, and I have to say, it just hopped clean over hard maple on my preferred woods list. Not that there's anything wrong with sugar, not at all. Just that the black birch seems to last forever, has perfect coaling qualities and doesn't leave a lot of ashes. And it is really puts out some ferocious heat. I've often said that sugar maple is like cherry on steroids. Well, black birch is like sugar maple on crack. I wonder how it compares with ironwood... a wood I've never burned in my life.

Black birch is awesome wood. Wish I had a crapload of that stuff.

Battenkiller said:

Just checked the btu chart and never realized river birch (black birch) btu rating is 26.8 and ironwood is 26.4. We have some birch so I'll have to check on what type, thanks for the heads up on the btu rating.

(broken link removed to http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm)

zap

zapny said:
Rich L said:
zapny said:
cptoneleg said:

No we don't, seems like we have good control without it.

zap

Ten hours without a pipe damper is very nice indeed.I'm burning two year old maple.That wood is beautiful.I like it better than oak since I've never had two year old oak to burn.Next year I'll have two year oak then we'll see how that does.I was up in Laconia N.H. last October and got to witness your Liberty in action at a local stove shop and it was kicking butt.This stove was throwing great heat even when the fan was off.I was very impressed.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.