• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crobinson.crane

Dec 19, 2023
Utah
Hello! After growing up using a wood stove at home, I really don't know too much and need some help here. I'm an owner builder of a new home construction (subbing out HVAC) and am trying to decide what stove to place in my basement. The house is about 2,300 SF each level, heated primarily with propane fired furnace. I'm planning to supplement heating with a wood stove being placed near the center of the basement in an approximately 700 SF family room. The flue and everything is in and we are working on finish work now and evaluating making this purchase. I had my HVAC contractor place two return air ducts above the fireplace to allow me to run the furnace on fan to help distribute the warm air from the downstairs fireplace.

I had a previous HVAC contractor recommend the Lopi Liberty as his #1 recommendation. I've been hoping for this stove, but I'm a little unsure for a few reasons. I wonder if those of you in the know could help me with a few questions.

Do you think the Lopi Liberty would be too large or put out too much heat for the space, even if I try to divert it through the house? What about the Quadrafire 5700 or Lopi Endeavor Nextgen-Hybrid? I like the idea of bigger logs and firebox, but I don't want to overdue it.

Do you have any other recommendations which you would direct me to regarding these 3 options or do you have other high quality and reasonable cost alternatives which I should consider?

My HVAC guy said he cannot get the Lopi stoves, so I would have to buy through another source. I have reached out and gotten quotes. My HVAC guy would provide a Quadrafire 5700. Seems like a good stove, but I don't know if I should hold out for a Liberty...

I like the idea of the 30% tax credit on the Endeavor to save cost for our construction. So, I wonder about using that unit, but I don't know if I should go smaller or stick with the Liberty. Also, I don't know if the cat versions are recommended and good for my application. Any advice here?

Also, my distributor said that Lopi would release a Liberty which would qualify for the tax credit in the future, but didn't know if it would be in 1 month or 10 months. If the Liberty was good for my space, perhaps I should hold out for that?

Also, on the 5700 or the Lopi versions, what accessories are recommended vs not. I've read the ash tray is a waste. What about the greenstart feature with Lopi. I love the idea of easily starting my fire, but I don't know how well it works.

I appreciate all your advice and knowledge!

Courtney

How will the heat get upstairs?

I had my HVAC contractor place two return air ducts above the fireplace to allow me to run the furnace on fan to help distribute the warm air from the downstairs fireplace.
The HVAC contractor and mechanicals inspector should have known mechanical code requires that return vents must be at least 10 ft away from the stove or fireplace.

The new Liberty is an excellent choice if there is an easy way for heat to convect upstairs. Will there be an open stairwell nearby?

Hello! There is an open stairwell 7' down the hallway from this room, so yes, I'm hoping for some natural convection also. Is that sufficient to allow that hot air to travel upstairs? I've also wondered about positioning a fan to help. I wasn't aware of the 10' away code, so I'm hoping there are no major problems with our plan. Thanks!

There should be some convection, though hallways can be restrictive, especially if they are only 3-4' wide. I suspect that the stove room will get pretty hot without some convection assistance. The most effective measure might be to place a 12" table or box fan, on the floor at the end of the hallway, facing the stove room.

That family room will get toasty. If you have 4600 sq. ft. (2,300 SF each level) that air needs to move.

How to do that, I can't speak to with any expertise.

I can say that I installed a Lopi Evergreen in my new build last year. Love the stove, so can speak to the quality of the brand.

Yes, the stove is an area heater. I am thinking that a medium sized stove will suffice, assuming that the basement walls are insulated.

The other concern is fresh air getting to the stove. New homes can be pretty tight and basements can end up as a negative pressure zone in some cases. If this is a daylight basement and the stove is near the exposed outside wall, then that may provide a location to run an OAK.

There should be some convection, though hallways can be restrictive, especially if they are only 3-4' wide. I suspect that the stove room will get pretty hot without some convection assistance. The most effective measure might be to place a 12" table or box fan, on the floor at the end of the hallway, facing the stove room.
Thanks, that's a clever approach. Blow the low (cold) air to the room with the stove which will force the high (hot) air down the hall and upstairs. Thank you!

CR

Reactions: begreen
Yes, the stove is an area heater. I am thinking that a medium sized stove will suffice, assuming that the basement walls are insulated.

The other concern is fresh air getting to the stove. New homes can be pretty tight and basements can end up as a negative pressure zone in some cases. If this is a daylight basement and the stove is near the exposed outside wall, then that may provide a location to run an OAK.
Yes, outside walls are insulated. I'm not sure how I would get outside air ducted to the stove which is about 8' from outer wall, without going up through the joists which are already covered and finished. But I could easily crack a nearby window. Thank you!

CR

That family room will get toasty. If you have 4600 sq. ft. (2,300 SF each level) that air needs to move.

How to do that, I can't speak to with any expertise.

I can say that I installed a Lopi Evergreen in my new build last year. Love the stove, so can speak to the quality of the brand.
Thank you. I'm hoping to move some air with those two large returns above the stove. Maybe some additional fans would help or perhaps naturally by convection. The majority of the heating will be accomplished by the furnace, so I'm hoping to supplement with the stove. Also, I did 2 zones (up and down), so if the downstairs is warm and the upstairs is cold, the furnace will only heat the upstairs.

I have a Liberty centrally located in in our house a large room with cathedral ceiling heating the whole 1950 sq ft. Can’t even imagine how hot your 700 sq ft room would get. It would be unbearable for me to be in there. The Liberty throws MAJOR heat.

Reactions: begreen
Just a couple of thoughts real fast.
Don't know if you purchased yet but go to LOPI website and try to find a contact phone number. NADA.
Download a manual and try to find a contact phone number. NADA.
I sent them an email. Response time was over one week. Their response?
Contact your dealer. Good luck.