Stove and pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNY49

Jun 3, 2024
New York
I bought a Fisher Teddy Bear. I noticed the manual online calls for 7 inch pipe. Tricky to find for me. Could I get away with using 6 inch? The pipe will be coming straight off the top of the stove and through the roof with no bends or 90s. The length of the chimney from the stove to the top cap outside on the roof will be around 8-9 feet. No obstacles or roof will be in the way.

Thanks!

The other issue is that it has a 6 inch already in it. But the online manual says 7. Odd

Stove and pipe question

Technically against code to reduce, but straight up physically works fine.

This is the same size welded box as Goldilocks, which uses 6, except Goldi does not have openings through doors for air intake. That model gets all air up through pedestal for mobile home installation, or the pedestal is raised an inch for indoor air when used in conventional housing.

What diameter does the inside of collar on stove measure?

Diameter determines the BTU carrying capacity. Don’t will not give you maximum output wide open, which most stoves are never operated at anyway.

These were a big seller in Canada where more output was needed, so your climate and hard woods should be fine.

Another reason is the 7 inch was UL tested with that size chimney, so UL Listing is maintained when installed as tested.

My avatar is a Ganz teddy bear that came with the Fisher Stoves T shirt when a Teddy Bear model was purchased in Canada.