Stacking North-South or East-West?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Here's one for a frigid, windy, winter night:

If you stack single row, and have a good prevailing Westerly wind, should the stack go N-S or E-W, to dry faster? Is it better to have the wind blowing through the stack, against one end and all along the split sides (N-S) or, across both ends (E-W).

Assume that the stack is shaded, so the sun isn't an influence.

Optimal = stack should run N-S, so that west wind can blow down the length of all splits.

Minimum = cut/split/stacked off the ground in any direction.

If stack is in the open, I'd still stack N-S so that the sun can hit all logs at some point of the day.

Last edited:
I just set up my stack in whatever direction seems to work best . . . never needed a compass to figure out how to stack the wood. Seems to work OK no matter which way the stacks line up.

I just set up my stack in whatever direction seems to work best . . . never needed a compass to figure out how to stack the wood. Seems to work OK no matter which way the stacks line up.
Yep, a bit of frivolous fun, I suppose.

This is about like the bark up or down debate. That ones settled though- bark down, except for the top few rows, which go bark up to shed the rain. This one has been quantifiably settled by the Norwegians.

And, I'm with Treepointer on the other issue. Trouble is, my N-S is up and down the hill, making stacking very difficult, so most stacks are E-W.

Reactions: JimBear
Here's one for a frigid, windy, winter night:

If you stack single row, and have a good prevailing Westerly wind, should the stack go N-S or E-W, to dry faster? Is it better to have the wind blowing through the stack, against one end and all along the split sides (N-S) or, across both ends (E-W).

Assume that the stack is shaded, so the sun isn't an influence.
I doubt it makes any difference.

i think it depends on how windy it gets, and which way you are trying to prevent your neighbors from getting into your yard from :)

I stack in a NE/SW direction, unless its covered, then it is a NW/SE direction

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
As long as my sons do it . It makes
no never mind to me

Reactions: Jeffm1
the real question is can you see your stacks from google earth?

Reactions: Jeffm1
Why yes you can
Can see them plane as day on google earth

It has more to do with my driveway, but I have the ends of the wood facing west -- gets a lot of sun and wind where I live. So the stacks are running north to south.

I stack whichever way is the most organized/out of my way/least likely to blow over. The stuff closer to the house runs N/S but my house also runs N/S...So basically with a prevailing west wind, my main stacks aren't getting a ton of wind with the house blocking them.

The stuff way out back is stacked E/W though. Either way they all have good air flow. Sun exposure could be better, but that's because I have too many dang trees.

Sun exposure could be better, but that's because I have too many dang trees.

that can be fixed... just dont' go nuts. I wish I had some more trees still in my back yard... its amazing what crops up when your friends cut everything down!