North south loads in east west insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Offseason, load the stove EW as you’d normally load it. Then take it out and load it NS. If you have extra space at the top, you know the answer. You’ve lost the energy stored in the saw kerfs, but you may be able to put a lot more wood in.

I don’t think I’d experiment when I needed heat.

The plus is shorter wood should dry faster.
This will be a covert exercise in my house while my wife is away. If she saw me stuffing the stove full of wood, taking it out to weigh it, then cutting it up only to put back into the stove in a different configuration, take it out and weigh it again, in the middle of summer…. She is supportive of my interests but this might be too much for her

If she’s home, get a little chip paint brush for $1.50 at Home Depot and make a production of dusting each one between loading, removing, weighing, etc!

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd