Sort of along the lines of venting but a bit different...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Always wondered how manufacturers come up with names and or model numbers for their respective units...?

Like CAB 50 for instance or my 6039 USSC. What determines those designations... and have you noticed, no two have the same name either

Reactions: Washed-Up
lol --They most likely have some committee deciding on the names of the new products for what reasons only the Lord would know....Welcome to the naming world...each to their own and after all its their company...That's one reason I think that the Fishers were really smart people with their beautiful bear stoves....people like that and understand it and not put them in a world of flux with all the different companies particular stove names...old clancey

Like I said, what I find very interesting is, no 2 have the same name. It's like builders research a names database prior to hanging a name on one...

Their names may be trademarked. I know in our business, we can’t use the same name as another company’s product that does essentially the same thing, and vice versa. A lot of bouncing ideas around, it goes on for quite some time. Having been with my company for 23 years, I’ve seen a lot of products being named.

Some origins of our product names:
Name of the first customer who ordered it that way
Approximate size of a component on the equipment, in inches, millimeters, cubic feet per minute, etc.
Abbreviation for the original product name
Empty slot on the product designation chart
A baseline number with plans to build similar variations later.