Siding on Chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Many were held up by a brace that could be removed when the chimney caught on fire allowing it to fall away from the house.

This made me chuckle but hey that's pretty good thinking. If thats all the material they had at the time it would save their house from burning. Disposable chimneys!

But I've learned a lot in this thread I'm glad I brought it up. I really do see a lot of these sided chimneys matching the house and now I know it's capable of supporting really any burning appliance. They are still ugly as sin though. If I ever move again (only way thats happening is if I somehow come into millions lol...I hate moving) and I cant have bricks I'll go brick or stone veneer for the aesthetics.

I too despise the look of chimney chases with siding on them. Especially where it goes above the roofline it just looks wrong to me. But then I'm a picky old house kind of guy and don't like the shiny metal chimney pipe look either. If I ever installed a new chimney it would probably be class A with a brick chase around it or a full masonry chimney with an insulated liner.

I like stucco/plaster or stone veneer for the exterior of a chimney chase.

The chimneys with a chase are less maintenance especially if a stainless chase cover is installed and properly caulked. I had to rent a 40' lift with rubber tracks to do some tuck pointing on the top of my masonry chimney. Siding on Chimneys

The chimneys with a chase are less maintenance especially if a stainless chase cover is installed and properly caulked. I had to rent a 40' lift with rubber tracks to do some tuck pointing on the top of my masonry chimney.View attachment 272415
I don't know about that. I am repointing chimney built in the 50s and 60s and rebuilding chases built in the 80s