Secondary burn video of Idaho Energy Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Here ya go pyros. If you're wondering what a clean secondary burn looks like in a Jotul, I just posted a video of the Idaho Energy Logs burning in the Castine last night. First shot is as the secondaries are starting to fire off. The second clip is a nice blue flame, but the logs still aren't fully involved. The last shot is about 15 minutes later, with all 3 logs burning at full clip. Stovetop temp peaked at 650 with this burn.

Warning, this is a 6mb video, so it's best viewed with a broadband connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR98Z4zvX8k

Pretty neat video, BG... and I notice the ecofan churning away at the top of the stove.

Slick BG. Did you have primary shut all the way down or partially open?

Primary at 50% for the first shot, 25% in the second, and all the way closed in the last shot. Stack damper closed too. If there was another log on the fire it would have been a runaway. That's why Jotul cautions about using this type of log. There are a lot of btus in there. Any hotter and I would have pulled the ecofan off the stove. Three logs is just about right for this stove starting up from cold.

Seems so. And that's with the rear-exit vent at 40 degrees outside. Lord knows what it would be like with the top-exit.

LOL - boy that would get the CT legistlature in an uproar. Actually, it's a more like a modest 19 feet.

Yeah, sure!

Than how do you explain this photo, Mr. BeGreen?

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Secondary burn video of Idaho Energy Logs
    MidnightChimney.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 866
Oh, oh. Busted...

But honestly inspector, that's just my weather station tower...

Funny that shot brings me back to my first chimney job at Wingdale, NY. We had to repair the breach from the coal boilers to a stack like that, while the boilers kept running!

Damn thats a nice looking fire & secondary burn! The stove is beautiful also!!!!
By the looks of that fan, the stove is ready for take off :)

KOOL MAN!!!! i could watch reburners all day, very nice stove, first time i saw a jotul burn , looks a lot like our 13 series burning , pretty cast stove wrapped around a super hot secondary, bet she was cookin ya pretty good

man, this makes me envious of you EPA non-cat stove owners :D that's a beautiful burn.

even when i use those i dont get seondaries like that and i have a summit! holy cow

Looks great!!! I should have bought the enamel - but I'm a cheap SOB.

stoveguy2esw said:
KOOL MAN!!!! i could watch reburners all day, very nice stove, first time i saw a jotul burn , looks a lot like our 13 series burning , pretty cast stove wrapped around a super hot secondary, bet she was cookin ya pretty good

I've yet to get a burn anything close to that on my 13 series. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing yet.

I'm not sure who if anyone is selling them. With 5 cords of wood stashed and just getting back from Italy, I haven't had a chance to check out what the local hardware stores are carrying. In past years I had to go to Seattle to find them.

I'm horrified. I can't believe your complete disregard for recommended practices and for manufacturer requirements. I can't beleive you'd try to pull something like that off on this forum. you had to know that someone would call you out.

Where should I place my Ecofan? Be sure to position the Ecofan on a smooth flat surface on your stovetop near the side or back of the stove where cooler air can be drawn from behind and over the cooling fins. Do not place your Ecofan in the center of the stove or in front of the stovepipe or at the front of the stove.

ps I forgot to add that you'll probably catch your house on fire because of it.

how long did the fire go for?

second shot looked like a nat. gas fire

I’m horrified. I can’t believe your complete disregard for recommended practices and for manufacturer requirements. I can’t beleive you’d try to pull something like that off on this forum. you had to know that someone would call you out.

:) The ecofan is still going strong after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.