Replacement Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Right now the 20" opening height is the deciding factor. If the big hearth was removed, then a big rear vent stove like an Ideal Steel or Progress Hybrid could be installed at floor level. Another alternative would be to raise the lintel. If the interior hearth floor has also been built up, then it might be removable, but it's important to know what's underneath this first.

Is there a block-off plate installed in the damper area. If not, that plus a bit of insulation behind the insert would increase its heat output a notable amount.
I like the idea of removing the hearth and choosing a stove that needs ember only protection.

I'm going to create a new thread about re-constructing the opening.
Hopefully I have some room.
Thanks.

Replacement Wood Stove Insert Replacement Wood Stove Insert Replacement Wood Stove Insert

Instead of going up.. . I went down.
I took out the bottom layer of brick, bringing the hearth level with the firebox.

I've also started chiselling at the hearth. The hole is 2 inches deep and still concrete.
I'll update as I learn more.

If you want a bigger firebox, a Progress Hybrid sounds like a good option, or if you want a just-slightly-bigger firebox, a Fireview might work. They both need 26" to the lintel, but it sounds like you could get that by removing the front hearth (and still have a little wiggle room to install a lower hearth). The Fireview is only 20" deep, while the Progress Hybrid is 25" deep - both are more than your target 12", but because they're side loading, they don't require as much of a hearth in front of them, which might balance some of that out.

Removing brick seemed to work.
Under the brick was several inches of sand. I went down about 3 inches and thought that was good enough.
With that layer of brick removed I was able to get a Pacific Energy Super Insert installed, with about 1 inch to spare all around.
Thank you all for your assistance.

Reactions: TomMcDonald