RE: Hmmm . . . I could be a winner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I'll believe it when I have it in my hot, sweaty hands . . . but remember the link one of our members posted to a free giveaway to a ash vac? Today, or maybe it was over the weekend, I received a notice that I had won one of the ash vacs they're giving away . . .

Of course being a skeptic, I'll believe it when I see it . . . and will of course use it and report on it.

Wow! That's great. I understand the skepticism. I once heard that I'd won a Maine gift pack, but found out that it was no to be. ;-P

"to good to be true"
Wise to be skeptical. ;)
Lots of "Buy $500 worth of that & get this free type thing."
Hope it's the real deal :)

RE: Hmmm . . . I could be a winner

Hope it is true.

Looks like a nice unit if it's what BB linked to.

No more entries for you! It's my turn next week!

pen

The giveaway is for their "refurbished" vacs. So I bet I know who pays the shipping.

Good luck Jake. I hope it is truly a winner.

BrotherBart said:
The giveaway is for their "refurbished" vacs. So I bet I know who pays the shipping.
hey still a good deal they go for alot new

Flatbedford said:
Wow! That's great. I understand the skepticism. I once heard that I'd won a Maine gift pack, but found out that it was no to be. ;-P

Hehheh . . . well if you didn't wander off to who knows where that Moxie and all those other goodies would have been yours.

Is the email in badly translated English and does it ask for your address, Social Security Number, and bank information?

Flatbedford said:
Is the email in badly translated English and does it ask for your address, Social Security Number, and bank information?

Yeah, and it's from a Nigerian Prince who is being deposed by his Uncle . . .

Actually the e-mail looked pretty legit . . . contact info . . . only asked to confirm my mailing address and provided a few links asking me to comment on the use of the vac after I receive and use it . . . we'll see . . . I am always skeptical.

I hope it sucks.

Haahahhaha! I should hope so! Hopefully sucks at well as a Sears shop vac. The one I have could damn near suck the concrete off the garage floor.

I never win anything. Ever! BUT, my bride and spent the last week in New York City. Thursday night we were at Radio City Music Hall for the Rockettes Christmas show. We arrived at our entry door about five minutes until show time. The usher had a huge smile and said rather loudly "oh! Row B Seat 301 and 302!" I thought it rather strange.
About thirty seconds after we sat down, a small mob of people came up to me and announced that we were the grand prize winner of a Delta Airlines give away. Two round trip tickets on Delta, as well as some luggage. They announced it from the stage and put a spot light on us. Then they led me away for some picture taking.
The winning seat was predetermined and I had booked those seats about two months ago. Over 6000 seats in that theater and I just happened to book the right one.

Now- to stay on topic with obligatory gear reference - We got home last night and I started a fire with oak that I had cut with my MS390 and split with my Fiskers SS.

Kenster said:
I never win anything. Ever! BUT, my bride and spent the last week in New York City. Thursday night we were at Radio City Music Hall for the Rockettes Christmas show. We arrived at our entry door about five minutes until show time. The usher had a huge smile and said rather loudly "oh! Row B Seat 301 and 302!" I thought it rather strange.
About thirty seconds after we sat down, a small mob of people came up to me and announced that we were the grand prize winner of a Delta Airlines give away. Two round trip tickets on Delta, as well as some luggage. They announced it from the stage and put a spot light on us. Then they led me away for some picture taking.
The winning seat was predetermined and I had booked those seats about two months ago. Over 6000 seats in that theater and I just happened to book the right one.

Now- to stay on topic with obligatory gear reference - We got home last night and I started a fire with oak that I had cut with my MS390 and split with my Fiskers SS.

Excellent . . . it's always fun to win free stuff!

Kenster said:

Next time you, or anybody else here is in NYC going to shows let me know. I am a stagehand here and with some warning could probably arrange some kind of backstage tour from one of my brother or sister stagehands. Met Opera is easiest as that is where I work.

Here's my obligatory gear reference - I use the money I make working as a stagehand to buy chainsaws and wood cutting accessories.

Next time you, or anybody else here is in NYC going to shows let me know. I am a stagehand here and with some warning could probably arrange some kind of backstage tour from one of my brother or sister stagehands. Met Opera is easiest as that is where I work.

Here's my obligatory gear reference - I use the money I make working as a stagehand to buy chainsaws and wood cutting accessories.

I may very well take you up on that. I'd love to do that. I have a tech background myself- lighting- but have never done it big time like on Broadway.

Kenster said:

I may very well take you up on that. I'd love to do that. I have a tech background myself- lighting- but have never done it big time like on Broadway.

I guess I do it "big time" PM me if you want to talk about it sometime.

Cool info. My roomate and I designed a theater lighting system interface for our senior design project in Electrical Engineering. It was a 48 channel switchboard that allowed the operator to control each channel independantly in 100 step increments from a PC interface. You could also program lighting cues to work on a timer from the pc and run a light show program.

We did some research (half assed college student research anyway) and couldn't find anything even similar that was comercially available at the time, this was early 1994. Alas we never took it further than winning 1st place in the senior design competition...probably could have gotten a few bucks for the design.

Back on topic, I've been burning wood 24x7 for about 6 weeks now. All of it cut with my Husky 359 and split with the Fiskars X27 or the Speedo 5 ton electric. Life is good.

That was a pretty cool project but your research was pretty half assed. That sort of control was commercially available in the early '80s. We have automated fixtures now that have 32 channels of control in 255 steps now. At the opera house were are probably controlling a few thousand channels for the lighting.

My Stihl 036 cuts wood without computer control and my Woodstock Soapstone Fireview heats without electricity. I have never won any kind of wood burning related thing.

Well it was the best research our college budgets could afford. Neither of us was a drinker so we played Doom II instead.

Our research consisted of him working in the school theater and we went through a few dozen issues if lighting trade magazines and never saw one that wasn't manual slider controlled.

Uh. Chainsaws and wood stoves!

That's odd. I was running a computerized board in 1990 and it was not even cutting edge at the time.

I was also cutting wood with a POS Homelite saw. I did not win it and it was not refurbished.

Enjoying the way these last few threads have gone . . . funny stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.