Random sawdust in pine stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
I have a stack of pine from two trees that fell this spring. One fell because of carpenter ants. I’ve noticed this sawdust for a while now, obviously not from my chain saw. I’m guessing it’s from carpenter ants. In the last picture I can see what looks like small holes in the bark from where insects have bored holes.
Any thoughts?
Also the pine is for camp fires and kindling for wood stove, I usually won’t run pine in the wood stove.

Pine borer Beetles...
Noticed the same thing a few years back when I had a select cut done on my property. Once the trees were down for some time, I started to see the same sawdust piles around/under the tree piles.
Go out around the piles on a calm night and listen. You will hear the nasty little buggers gnawing away through the bark on the logs.

... and to answer the usual follow-up questions to Fitter’s response, this is normal, not a big deal. More of us probably deal with Powder Post Beetles, than these Pine Borer Beetles, but they’re just two of the many bugs and varmint that call your firewood stacks their home. These are just some of the reasons that most of us choose to keep our primary stacks far from the house, until they’re ready to use, and not store wood indoors.

Thanks for the replies. I too don’t stack firewood near the house.

If you strip the bark off, the beetles usually clear out.