Forest Fire Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Murray01

Aug 25, 2023
Saskatchewan
I have access to Jack Pine that was burnt in a forest fire. The bark is starting to fall off the trees and with a bit of scraping 99% of the bark peels right off, extra work but I don’t want to touch the charred bark(messy). Fire went through in the spring of 2018. Trees are standing dead. Under the bark some of the wood is damp and of course evidence of bugs and woodpecker holes. I cut about a cord split and piled yesterday. I checked the fresh splits today with a cheap moisture meter against my readings from my dmm and the chart on moisture I found here. With the exception of a few pieces both readings were within 2%. The Jack Pine I’m getting 12-19% moisture, I checked some Jack Pine that my FIL put up 10 years ago and I’m getting a consistent 12-15%. I then checked the supports of his woodshed(cedar 4”X4”) and some random pieces of dimensional lumber all 12%. This wood is within walking distance from the cabin.

Does anyone see any issues burning trees that have been “dried” by a forest fire?
Since the old(+20 years) woodshed is 12% moisture is that the best I can expect for dry firewood? The 12% seems to be “background” moisture.

IMG_6292.jpeg

Nope. I’m a fan of burning the easiest wood to gather.

Reactions: Dunmyermowingllc
Check the moisture on a fresh split. Like split it then test it right away. See what you get then.

No issues with it. We used to burn lots of it as a kid while living in Slave Lake.

There's going to be a ton of it around here after all the fires we had/have this summer. I intend to start cutting it come Spring/Summer of next year. Might as well make use of it.

Thank you for your replies.

I’ve been fighting creosote buildup and I’m in the process of eliminating wet wood as the cause. We only burn in the shoulder season so my suspicion is operator error. Told my wife that the next fire we have will be smaller and hotter to minimize creosote buildup rather than “to take the chill off the room”.

No issues with it. We used to burn lots of it as a kid while living in Slave Lake.

There's going to be a ton of it around here after all the fires we had/have this summer. I intend to start cutting it come Spring/Summer of next year. Might as well make use of it.
I’ll look for you on highway 40. LOL

Thank you for your replies.

I’ve been fighting creosote buildup and I’m in the process of eliminating wet wood as the cause. We only burn in the shoulder season so my suspicion is operator error. Told my wife that the next fire we have will be smaller and hotter to minimize creosote buildup rather than “to take the chill off the room”.

Curious, why would you only burn in the shoulder season?