Quadrafire or Vermont castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
Building a house and it comes with a heating package from a specific sub contractor. This company only carries quadrafire and Vermont castings. I wanted a blaze king but they said they.l can only do those two because they are registered distributors. I’ want to heat a 2700 sq ft house. 24 downstairs and 300 bonus room. Which of these companies has high quality and better heating?

What will be the primary heating system and the goal for wood heating? Can they just install the venting system and leave the stove choice up to you for later installation? Is this for a freestanding stove?

There is going to be a heat pump as primary heat and the house also comes with a gas fireplace which is installed by this company. I have the option to upgrade that to a wood instert or a free standing stove

By wood insert, do they mean a wood burning Zero Clearance fireplace? The word insert is sometimes used by fireplace marketers, but it actually is a zero clearance fireplace. An insert goes into (inserts) a masonry fireplace. It's important to get that clear. If it is a ZC fireplace then one needs to look at the parent company of VC and Quadrafire. That would be a Heatilator Constitution or Quadrafire 7100 fireplace.
Or is your preference for the freestanding stove? If so, the VC stoves are prettier and have some nice features like top-loading and thermostatic control. but the Quadrafires are simpler and lower maintenance over the long term.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what they mean by wood instead. But either way I am getting a free standing stove instead of the fire place so I’m curious about the two options

In that case I'd get the Quad freestander.