Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If so, it should be a very easy breathing stove like another Regency, or Drolet, PE, Osburn. Of them, PE has the best options to get around the plain stove look.

Reactions: stoveliker
Methinks the OP wants a good excuse to get a new stove...
Yes, since the issue was brought to my attention and the rabbit hole I've gone down, I do want new. Again, I have heard a patch/welding story that didn't buy much extra time. And I'm not really looking for a band aid because I don't want to be revisiting this in a few years either. But I do appreciate the input and am learning a lot along the way.
As for tax credit, apparently the Osburn 2000 does, but the Quad 3100 does not (the 2100 does and the Discovery I does, however.) I also found out the Quad no longer comes with a door trim package option, while the Osburn does.

Yes, looks are important I see.
However, what is more important is that the stove works on the relatively short chimney (unless that can be extended); a poorly performing but beautiful stove is just an ornament.

Not all stoves work on a 11-12 ft flue. So the fact that the previous one did is no guarantee the next one will.
Hence, heed begreen's advice regarding easy breathers.

Reactions: Camp Bohica
Yes, looks are important I see.
However, what is more important is that the stove works on the relatively short chimney (unless that can be extended); a poorly performing but beautiful stove is just an ornament.

Not all stoves work on a 11-12 ft flue. So the fact that the previous one did is no guarantee the next one will.
Hence, heed begreen's advice regarding easy breathers.
Also, don't quote me on height. That's just the off the top of my head guesstimate. I do know when the original was installed we had to add another section of pipe on the roof to get a better draft. When I get a chance, I'll see if I have another pic to download.

Here's another Pic for flue height reference.

Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire) Looking to replace older Regency wood stove (considering Osburn or Quadrafire)

Looks like 12-13', but the offset reduces the draft a bit. Stick with easy breathers. If you like to cook on the stove sometimes, this is a good looking stove for there.

Reactions: Camp Bohica
Yes, the price went up a lot in the past few years. It's a great stove with a lot of flexibility. The Super Classic LE is less expensive and can be ordered in 5 different finishes. The basic version is the Super LE.

I want one of these. It’s more of compromise but for a cabin it would be fun. And it’s on sale. Can’t find minimum height in the manual.

I want one of these. It’s more of compromise but for a cabin it would be fun. And it’s on sale. Can’t find minimum height in the manual.
Interesting. Seems like it wouldn't be for an application of primary heat source, though. Not sure which height measurement you were looking for, but all of the specs are listed in a drop down on the webpage you attached.

Reactions: EbS-P
Interesting. Seems like it wouldn't be for an application of primary heat source, though. Not sure which height measurement you were looking for, but all of the specs are listed in a drop down on the webpage you attached.
I think these would function ok as a primary heater. Firebox isn’t huge. I think that’s the design compromise. Not a perfect heater but you get an oven and a small cooktop. All for a decent price. The back panels are vermiculite. Are there better stoves for heating yes, are there better cookstoves yes. But for something that does it all I’m very intrigued. And at $1700 it’s a good value. If your 800 sq ft was insulated and seals it could do ok. 6-8 hour reloads when it’s cold.