Quad Castile Insert - shuts down unexpectedly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
My #2 snap disk is mounted on the right side of the fire box next to snap disk #1. It has black and orange wires running to it. The manual for older ones say it is mounted on the drop tube. You should be able to access it by taking off the right side cast iron piece. It's just held on with two Phillips screws. If you want to pull out the stove (major PITA), you should have two quick connect snaps that will separate the piping from the combustion blower. That gasket is pretty stout and shouldn't need replacing but it wouldn't hurt to have one on hand anyway.

In any case, #2 is a safety against overfiring and should not be bypassed for any length of time. You DO have your flame height set correctly in HIGH heat position, right??????

My #2 is definitely on the drop tube.. luckily, I was able to get my arm back there and feel for it. I confirmed I had the right one because of the color of the wires (Orange and Black). Yes, flame height was adjusted awhile ago and I thought that actually was the problem for awhile. Then, it started shutting down again. I plan to replace the snap disk this weekend. I also have an OAK, so I guess I need to rig up those quick connect snaps on this also. A PITA is right...
At least we're getting heat and just in time.. 12 degrees outside at my house this morning!

Thanks,
Rob

My kid just called and said the fire is out and the hopper is full. Grrrr!!!
Back to square one on this piece of S**T !
Might be time for a sledge hammer!

Broke down and hired a service technician from the dealer. They determined the issue was a defective auger motor and replaced it.
They said when the stove heats up, the auger motor was failing.
We'll see...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.