Princess temp adjustment question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonTee

Minister of Fire
Dec 1, 2021
Upstate NY
Hi guys. This is my second year with the Princess. The first year was great. I’ve actually been burning now for about a month. I’ve been burning mostly on low since the temps haven’t been that cold. Now we’re getting temps in the 20’s, and I’ve been cranking it up a little more.

Here’s my question. My temp control knob seems to be very sensitive when the stove is in cruise mode. After the fire has been going for a couple hours, and I want to turn it down a little bit more, just a slight turn of the knob turns it down too much. For instance if it’s cruising at 500 degrees flue temp and I just barely turn the knob (like as little as possible) it will drop down to 250 degrees flue temp within 30 min or so.

Last year I could dial it back to 450, 400, 350, etc.
I run my stove by flue temp with the Auber AT200. As in I try to aim for a certain flue temp for my desired temp in the house.

Is there something I need to clean or adjust? The stove and chimney were cleaned out before burning season began. I’m still on the original cat of course. It seems to working just fine.

I’m burning dry wood (less than 18%Mc). When this happens the cat is well into the active zone. To the right of the mid point on the gauge, but still in the active zone (not over temp).

Any ideas?

Just remember that you’re adjustments aren’t directly linked to the intake valve and that lowering the thermostat can actually make things hotter until the stove along with the fuel load has a chance to react. There’s an acceleration/deceleration phase and then a cruise phase when you make thermostat adjustments.

Your instrumentation is lightning quick to react so you will be able to witness things that most don’t. This excess information could erroneously cause you to want to do extra adjustments.

Basically you need to wait longer for the stove to reach a new equilibrium.

Oh and I too dislike how ultra sensitive the controls are. A tiny fraction of knob adjustment makes a very large difference. Over the years people have made bigger dials and longer needles if you want ideas they’re out there.

I just thought I had better control over it last year. I might be mistaken though.

Usually I’ll make a change and wait 20-30 min to see what happens.

I really like the idea of making a larger diameter knob/dial.