Pressure and more

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
A small addition to my system is this 5" pressure gauge, mounted on my 1000 gal storage box next to the monitoring panel. The Tarm has a small pressure gauge on its control panel, but this big one adds a little finesse to the system. Also a couple of pix's of shop/boiler room which I finished with solid white pine paneling over the winter months. All the wood came from trees on our land which I felled, sawed into lumber, dried, planed, ship-lapped, pre-varnished, and then installed. And I added the mural to remind me what part of life is all about -- enjoying, appreciating and helping to sustain the natural world in all Her beauty.

Attachments

• Pressure and more
    DSCN1805.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 504
  • Pressure and more
    FSCN1815.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 466
  • Pressure and more
    FSCN1812.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 481
  • Pressure and more
    FSCN1814.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 488
  • Pressure and more
    FSCN1811.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 493
Looks nice ! What did you use to cut your boards ? bandsaw, Alaskan mill ?

Thanks for the generous comment. I have a Woodmizer bandsaw mill, and typically cut 3,000 to 5,000 board feet per year.

Awesome. Dude, you must have long winters.

Holy S**t! Beautiful set up Jim! I want to have large digital readouts for temperature for my wood boiler and water storage tank. I will have to ask my boiler install guys if they have any experience putting them in. Nice work man!

Looks great
Where did you get your monitoring panal?
I'm looking for something like that.I have two storage tanks i would like to moitor,plus i'd like to moniter my line temps.
Thanks Thomas

The monitoring panel uses a standard plastic 12" x 12" electrical box I bought at Menards, a home hardware supply store. 7 of the meters are digital panel meters using Dallas DS18B20 sensors from sureelectronics. These are available in red or blue LED's. One meter, for the stack, is a k-type digital panel meter from Procon. All meters run on 12-24 vdc from a wall plug-in DC transformer like that which powers many small electronic devices. I did the cutouts in the cover of the electrical box, mounted the meters, and then ran the cabling (generally Cat5e) to the sensors. All 7 of the DS18B20's are cable-tied to pipes and covered with insulation, or are fixed to the surface of my storage tank with aluminum HVAC tape, and then covered with the tank insulation. The k-type meter uses a high temperature probe inserted into the stack. I also have 14 data logging sensors on my system and can record and evaluate performance with my laptop computer.

NICE man cave Jim. I'm jealous :)

Just last night my wife and I talked to a friend who decided to rent out their house and move into their heated garage/shop. I think my wife is waiting for me to make this offer to her! Do you think she would accept?

jebatty said:
Just last night my wife and I talked to a friend who decided to rent out their house and move into their heated garage/shop. I think my wife is waiting for me to make this offer to her! Do you think she would accept?

I don't think I would tempt her...........:)

jebatty said:

I wish my wife would go for that. Maybe when hell freezes over. The extra money would be nice and I allready have a full bath and plumbing for a kithen in the shop. I Know she wont go for it becouse she would have to tell people she lives in a barn / beside a work shop.

Looks nice and neat Jim. I sure am envious of your panel and display. maybe this winter (I am enjoying snowless ground and iceless lakes) I will try a similar setup, never have too much information.

One bad thing with the Woodmizer is where to store all the lumber so it doesn't degrade or rot. Just two days ago I threatened to burn all I have in the pole building and then I would not have to build another. My wife knew better and said I should get started on another one soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.