Possible Small Chimney Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
how are you ensuring that where it elbows upwards, that you dont have a big ole pile of creosote sitting in that corner causing it to burn off and create a poor draft?

I've had a backwards draft and your symptoms occasionally. Mostly because someone was running ventilation in the house, like a bathroom fan venting to the outside, which may have created a slightly lower pressure inside. I don't have an outside air intake.

But opening a window near the stove quickly resolved that.
That night I must have had some really weird atmospheric pressure. I did not have any exhausts in the house running , I have heard that can cause issues before.

And replying to the last post, as far as making sure the two 45 degree elbows are clean I run the soot eater back and forth several times to hopefully push anything down. Other than that though, I haven’t done anything like take it apart. Thanks for the comments. Ordered and auber at200 to keep an eye on the flue temps to make sure I’m burning clean.