Please help me choose a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
How tall does the chimney need to be? What's wrong with the current setup? Can you post some pics? If you have some fairly accurate measurements, Sean at dynamitebuys can work you up a quote for Selkirk. He is very helpful, and thorough, and has several satisfied customers here.

The BK is likely the priciest stove you have listed, probably $3500ish, maybe a bit more. Fans are optional. Are they necessary? Maybe. You can always add them if you need to. I run mine when it's cold.

Not sure about the others, but the BK weighs in at 465lbs, according to specs. Not a heavyweight, by any means. It would be like me and my twin standing next to each other on the floor.

I would call it pretty much idiotproof. If you're chilly, give it a little more air. If you're too warm, turn the thermostat down a little. It responds quickly. It is very predictable, and I have never had a time when I thought it would run away and get too hot, even with high winds. You do have to clean the cat off now and then. I brush the front off with a soft paintbrush, and (carefully) suck it out with a shop vac, front and back, when I brush the chimney. Yes, you will have to replace it eventually. You have to decide if the ease of operation, and clean low burn capabilities, are worth it to you. I think the cat runs around $300.

That's my two cents on the stove. If you want to spend the coin, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for that review and recommendation, jeff! The BK sounds nice, but that would be 4000 with tax and fans, delivery fees too. Jeez thats alot for me, even 2500 is expensive for my budget. The only pic I have right now is the one on the first page. You cant see it too well, but the stove connects with an oval opening, connected to a regular 8 inch black stove pipe. That pipe connects to some sort of chimney on the ceiling, as shown in this pic(except mine is single wall black pipe).

(broken link removed to http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/insulated-stainless-steel-chimney)

The whole run is only about 15 feet to the chimney. Not sure what a new chimney setup would cost, or if i even need one, but now would be the time to do it. I wouldnt want to have a great stove, only to lose all my heat through a crappy chimney.

That is not a picture of a setup, it's ICC Excel's class A home page. Did you mean to post a picture of your house's setup?

You can get an idea of Excel pricing here

(broken link removed to http://www.stoves-pipes.com/category-s/143.htm)

This distributor is located in North Bend, WA and has free shipping on orders over $99.

The whole run is only about 15 feet to the chimney. Not sure what a new chimney setup would cost, or if i even need one, but now would be the time to do it. I wouldnt want to have a great stove, only to lose all my heat through a crappy chimney.

You're not going to lose heat through a crappy chimney. It needs to be safe. Maybe it needs to be inspected by a CSIA certified sweep? If it is a sound 8" chimney, you can save yourself a big chunk of change and look at stoves that spec an 8" flue. You can spend $700-1000 on a new chimney.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I am also new to wood stoves. I did a lot of research about this time last year and after a lot of reading, I opted for the Woodstock Progress Hybrid (but I also seriously consdiered the Jotul F600, the Isle Royale, the Mansfield by Hearthstone, the VC Defiant, and the Jotul Rockland insert). I got one of the first Progress Hybrids available last December. When my wife saw it, she kind of laughed, gave me a hard time and said that would never heat our entire home. Boy was she wrong. We have a fairly large 5 bedroom home (with 40 year old windows and poor insulation), with about 1700 square feet on each floor (3400 on top two floors plus, and if you include the basement--which I no longer heat with the woodstove, about 5000 square feet total). Granted that last year was an incredibly mild winter (I live near Washington, DC), but it heated our home with ease. There was at least one week when it got really cold for several days (10 degrees F) and it had no problem keeping the house very warm (Our family room on the first floor where the stove is located was typically 75-77 degrees and our upstairs was very cozy 70-72). I did not even feel like I was pushing the stove. As for burn times, mine does not approach the Blaze King. I have easily gotten overnight burns every night, but have not been able to get longer than a 12 or 13 hour burn (perhaps with better wood I would be albe to do so this year). The stove is amazingly fun to watch, and has a very large viewing area to watch the light show as the wood and smoke burns. As for weight, I could be wrong but I believe the stove weighs about 650 pounds empty (without wood).

It''s true that the stove is a bit expensive. But in response to that I would say that it is very high quality cast iron and soapstone, is beautiful, and will last for 20 years (or perhaps longer). Also, it was tested by EPA and got the highest efficiency rating of any stove. That means you will save money (and/or labor and time) on wood each and every year for the entire life of the stove. Anytime I have had an issue with something (this was a new prototype stove), Woodstock has been outstanding answering questions, and/or sending me any needed parts immediately (and free of charge). I have never experienced a company that has better cumtomer service, especially in this day and age. I don't have a lot to compare it to since this is my first and only stove, but I have been extemely happy with the Progress Hybrid, and highly recommend it to anyone.

Reactions: rideau
Depending on your local distributor, the Liberty is going to be upwards of $2500. I should know this, but I don't recall offhand-I think we paid @ $1900 for the Republic 1750, which is the less expensive version of the Endeavor and the size smaller than the Liberty.

Not sure what the basic black door and leg pricing is on the Liberty. I think base price of the Liberty without door and legs is around $2200-$2300. My Endeavor with the pewter door, sculptured pewter legs, etched glass and blower was $2638. I would have been far closer to $2K without the upgrades and if I had purchased during one of the free blower promotions Lopi offers throughout the year.

Here is one place quoting Liberty price.

What makes this so tough is that you dont even get prices on most of these stoves. Most are considered high end I guess, so you have to call. Sometimes you make calls only to find out the local dealer doesnt carry any to actually show. Another thing is all the options, and understanding which of those I need. Sometimes you have to pay extra for doors and fans, other times not.

What I was hoping for was all of you to recommend one or 2 stoves. Wishful thinking on my part, but at least you guys are steering me in the right direction. Some questions I still have are:

1. Should I be concerned about weight? Some of these big boys are a few hundred pounds heavier than what I have now. Based on averages, when does weight become an issue?

2. How much would it cost me to use a high quality chimney setup, like the ones recommended to me? My setup looks close to the picture in the link:

(broken link removed to http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/insulated-stainless-steel-chimney)

3. I dont care so much about looks, none of them are ugly. Including options, are any of them cheaper or more cost efficient, and still work just as well? Which would be the most idiot proof, and low maintenance? The candidates are Napoleon 1900, BlazeKing King, Lopi Liberty, PE Summit, and Kuma. I like the Woodstock, but I'm not crazy about the woodstock price. Looks like I just missed the off season deadline.

A Blaze King costs more than a Woodstock.

A Blaze King costs more than a Woodstock.

If you're going to stay with 8 inch, get one for that size. Should be a large firebox, and I don't think weight is a huge issue unless your floor is weak. If you're swapping to 6 inch, that will be costly and may add $1500 to $2000 to the project. At that point, you'd be better just using what you have and finding the cheapest large stove that uses 8 inch than buying a new stove and a new chimney for 6"

Not sure what the basic black door and leg pricing is on the Liberty. I think base price of the Liberty without door and legs is around $2200-$2300. My Endeavor with the pewter door, sculptured pewter legs, etched glass and blower was $2638. I would have been far closer to $2K without the upgrades and if I had purchased during one of the free blower promotions Lopi offers throughout the year.

Here is one place quoting Liberty price.

It might be an east coast/west coast difference, since Lopi is out your way. We got the free blower promo on the Republic. Ours is pretty basic, just legs instead of pedestal and a regular door. I dug out our paperwork, we were originally going with an Endeavor, also no add ons, just the standard door and legs and it came in at $2404. The Republic was $1999. Plus piping and install of course and knowing what I know now, we would never have let the dolts at the dealer install it. Live and learn and don't go back to that dealer, lol.

Reactions: Treacherous
It could be since they are right in the neighborhood... if I ever had a major warranty issues that required welding or something I would just put it on one of my trailers and drive it to the factory.

It might be an east coast/west coast difference, since Lopi is out your way.

Well it looks like I will keep my old setup, I have too many other repairs to make. As i mentioned I am not at the house, but I am reconsidering what i said about having 8" pipe. I think its 6" because the stove just isnt that big, but I will have to make sure before ordering. Again, many thanks to all of you.

I like the BlazeKing but its too much money. So is the Woodstock Progress Hybrid. I like both of them most, but they could cost me $3500-$4000. Next choice is the PE T6 Alderlea, at around $3000. I also Like the Lopi Liberty at around 2500. Just as I'm leaning towards the PE Alderlea, I caught a post here about a cheaper alternative:

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100291302/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wood+stove&storeId=10051#.UEKKrNaPW1s)

The specs on this TimberRidge stove look similar to others mentioned here, huge firebox too. The only thing different is the price, this one is 3-4 times less money. The warranty would be a down side, but does anybody know how this stove performs vs. the others mentioned? I would rather trust forums(the people) over home depot reviews.

Dave this might be worth the drive for you, 25 hr round trip.
(broken link removed to http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/3196402008.html)
From PapaDave's thread.

The Englanders have a big following here and those that have them really like them. It is certainly a credible option.

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100291302/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wood+stove&storeId=10051#.UEKKrNaPW1s)

The specs on this TimberRidge stove look similar to others mentioned here, huge firebox too. The only thing different is the price, this one is 3-4 times less money. The warranty would be a down side, but does anybody know how this stove performs vs. the others mentioned? I would rather trust forums(the people) over home depot reviews.

Thanks Fox, that does look like a great deal. But, I dont have a truck yet. I'm a total noob to mountain life. Just bought my first lawn mower this summer(but thats another forum)!

I know I sound like a sellout now, first looking at high quality stoves and now what might be an inferior import. But I just cant help but notice what lowes and home depot are offering. Something has to be better about the more expensive stoves besides looks. Longevity maybe? And out of these low cost alternatives, are any better or worse than the others? Specifically TimberRidge/Englander, US Stove, and Drolet? Whats the catch? Am I gonna burn twice as much wood if I buy one of these? Might it only last 5 years? Thanks all, for your valuable time.

I know I sound like a sellout now, first looking at high quality stoves and now what might be an inferior import. But I just cant help but notice what lowes and home depot are offering. Something has to be better about the more expensive stoves besides looks. Longevity maybe? And out of these low cost alternatives, are any better or worse than the others? Specifically TimberRidge/Englander, US Stove, and Drolet? Whats the catch? Am I gonna burn twice as much wood if I buy one of these? Might it only last 5 years? Thanks all, for your valuable time.

If you type '30nc' in the search box in the top right corner of the page, you'll find plenty to read about Englander.
Nothing wrong with Drolet either. SBI is the parent company (broken link removed to http://www.sbi-international.com/en/index.asp)
Both manufacturers have reps here who are regular posters.

I hear pretty good things about Englander here, and the rep who is a regular poster is friendly and knows his stuff. Quite honestly, I don't think it's a bad stove by any means. I am 99% sure they are made in the USA too, rather than being a cheap import. I really don't know what is "better" about my Lopi vs a 30NC (I'm in between the 13NC and 30NC for firebox size so I just picked the bigger of the two). Maybe it's just because, rather like Jell-O is more expensive than the store brand. There are a lot of folks who run Englander stoves here, no one is going to look down on you for buying one! Everyone has their reasons for owning the stove they own, and a lot of times it DOES come down to price (ours was price, familiarity with the Lopi brand and the unreal clearances of the Endeavor/Republic 1750). Lots of folks burn wood because it's less expensive than LP (or NG or electric) and they are proud to "admit" it, lol.

For what's its worth I found a $300 difference between dealers when I bought my stove.

Well guys, I cant think of or find any reason NOT to cheap out and go for the englander NC 30, delivered for less than $999. Good reviews wherever I look, even here. I was just about to wrap this up. But then, my wife saw a picture of the stove. Blind as a bat and with only bad wood stove experience, she dubbed the stove a piece of crap! Mind you, my wife almost burned the house down a few years back. (Since then I have convinced her its not a good idea to dump hot ashes on a deck, even if it IS pressure treated wood!) So I showed her a review on youtube, to try to convince her the englander would do the job. But, I managed to pick the one jerk who couldnt get his englander stove hot!

.....Back to the drawing board, stay tuned. I think she wants cast iron, god give me strength.

If I was to buy a "budget" stove right now . . . my first choice would be an Englander . . . based solely on their commitment to customer service . . . well, maybe also due to the price and many, many happy owners who have posted their favorable impressions of the Englander line up.

What stove does she want to get? You started out with good choices in the Osburn 2400 or Napoleon 1900. If she likes them better (for whatever reason) then you should have no qualms about getting either of those stoves. They are good heaters. This is not to say the Englander would be a lesser stove, but peace on the homefront has a higher value.

Status
Not open for further replies.