Help I.d. me please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ibnkrdyou

Nov 15, 2023
New York
Hello All,
New to the wood stove world. I received this stove from a family member. He has the same model in his ~3000 sqft A frame up on lake Ontario and it keeps the house so hot you have to open the doors in January. Looking to see if anyone knows any information on it and general stove top temps i can run it at. I've been using it the last few weeks in our ~2000 sqft house in central NY and it puts out heat but nothing to brag about. I figured while it was still not terribly cold out that we would be melting upstairs but I can barely get the 1000 sqft unfinished basement up to the mid 70s while the stove top is saying ~500 degrees.
I'm under the impression that its from the 40s? the firebricks that are in it have FJD inscribed on them and that brick yard went out in the 50s i think.
Any info is appreciated. thanks!

-Kyle

stove.jpg

If the stove is in the basement and it has unfinished walls, you could be losing about 30% of your heat through them.

Reactions: Heat Maxx
This old of a stove is going to push allot of heat up the flu. I Know money is tight for many people right now but I’d you can find a good used EPA rated wood stove or even get a new one it will put out more heat and save on firewood. Most of these older stoves work on the same principle you stoke it with wood they have air coming in for combustion from the front or back and some even the sides. Then allot of the fire goes up the flue and you use allot of firewood. Not to mention more smoke. They do put out heat but not as efficiently as a newer wood stoves. You also need a wood stove for the size of area you are heating.

thanks fo the replies. the walls are unfinished. i put a piece of sheet metal behind the stove and it helped. i've bee told i wasnt running it hot enough so for the last 3 days i've been running stove top temps between 550 and 600. pipe temps staying in the green decently. that's helped significantly.

any ideas who makes the stove? my uncle has been using his for about 40 years. he'd never seen another one until he found this one at a yard sale and picked it up for me. i enjoy splitting wood so i'll live with the inefficiency for a little family tradition.

You’ll get more heat from dry wood also. The water in the wood has to boil off before the wood can start heating the stove.

I have never seen anything like this wood stove before. It is hard to find some of these older stoves on the internet. You can right click on the image and choose "search web for image" and see what happens. There might be some new AI images search tools on the net also for finding a similar image. A better picture might also help if you do a search web for image. The stove looks homemade to me except for the bends on the main shell but that could have been done in a metal shop then welded together in a home shop. Because some stoves are almost impossible to identify I always try to go back to the basics on how they work.

Are the two holes on the sides heat pipes go all the way through? The don't look very functional from the picture.

yes the two holes are pipes that go all the way to the back but they kind of help the placement for the fire bricks. they don't put out any heat, really. i saw some stoves on here where people said they were home made. If my uncle's stove wasn't identical i could believe it easier. it has four plates on the back held on by four bolts each. they block off circular 1 inch holes. I'm wondering if this was an old wood burning water furnace.

Looks like something made in a local metal shop, perhaps sold just in the region. It's not going to be efficient and as noted, a lot of heat is going to get soaked up by the uninsulated basement wall.