Plate seams on Jotul....should I be concerned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No kidding. When I hear of folks who run theirs 24/7, I am amazed, but also frightened when I hear the "load up" for the evening before going to bed. I'm not sure what the stats are, but my OCD would certainly kick in.

Trust me . . . the first few nights I slept right on the couch in the living room and would wake up every couple of hours to check on things. Now I load the stove, get it up to temp and in "cruise" mode and then go to bed. Mind you I never simply load it and go to bed . . . I generally try to plan things out so the final load is a half hour or so before I turn in for the night . . . by then the stove is usually cruising along with no surprises.

Trust me . . . the first few nights I slept right on the couch in the living room and would wake up every couple of hours to check on things. Now I load the stove, get it up to temp and in "cruise" mode and then go to bed. Mind you I never simply load it and go to bed . . . I generally try to plan things out so the final load is a half hour or so before I turn in for the night . . . by then the stove is usually cruising along with no surprises.

I spent many nights staying up babysitting my old Jotuls, or sleeping on a chair in front of the stove. I had a few incidents with those stoves that completely broke my trust with them. They were old, and that may have contributed, but I also decided they were just a bad design, I’m not sure there was any faulty component causing the behavior I was seeing.

With my current stoves, I just load twice per day, 6am and 6pm. By the time I turn in for the night, they’ve been running on the current load for at least 5 - 6 hours. They’re also much less eventful burners, almost boring.

With my current stoves, I just load twice per day, 6am and 6pm. By the time I turn in for the night, they’ve been running on the current load for at least 5 - 6 hours. They’re also much less eventful burners, almost boring.
As it should be. We have the T6 dialed in the same way and on a 12 hr cycle unless the outdoor temps are low. Then I switch to an 8 hr cycle. Predictable is good.

Reactions: Ashful
Saw a guy on youtube that cuts big rounds in a birthday cake fashion and loads two in the stove for overnight. Says they burn long and steady.

Saw a guy on youtube that cuts big rounds in a birthday cake fashion and loads two in the stove for overnight. Says they burn long and steady.
Big rounds like that don’t burn longer, they take longer to burn.. Sometime around 2 am the moisture is finally driven out, then the wood can burn.

This is how he cuts overnight logs. Baloney or not I cant say.

If those rounds are dry, then yes that great. But like was said above, it would take a really long time to dry those rounds properly. Regardless of what some people say, adding in some green wood to lengthen burn time does not actually work because you get less actual heat output overall.

Maybe they are dry. They are only 6 inches long. Quickly season from both ends.

That door gasket is really ratty.