Pipe ventilation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E.Merckx

Nov 11, 2019
New England
I am getting a drolet escape free standing stove. The pipe will rise about 24” above the stove, then make a 90 degree turn, go through an outside wall, then another 90 degree turn and rise about 36” above the roof line.

This was the recommendation of the installer due to where we are pacing the stove but I read that this set up is prone to poor draft issues? Can anyone comment on if that will hinder performance? Thanks.

All depends, it will work just fine if your total run is 20ft or more, some people have draft issues when first lighting especially if the chimney is on the northside of the house (the fixed is to build a chase and insulate it) Straight up from the stove is best, but its not unheard of and prob more popular to go out through a wall and then up along the outside of the house.

I’m estimating the total run to be closer to 10ft. I’ll have to ask the installation guy about that.

Also, the quote has a parts charge of $1,260. What could that be? Only substantial thing I would need (other than the stove itself of course) is the pipe (double wall I am assuming). But that would only be a couple hundred. I’m waiting to hear back from the installation company but am inpatient. Labor fee is a different line item so that is strictly parts.

Edit: actually, maybe it will be closer to 20’, all told.

I’m estimating the total run to be closer to 10ft. I’ll have to ask the installation guy about that.

Also, the quote has a parts charge of $1,260. What could that be? Only substantial thing I would need (other than the stove itself of course) is the pipe (double wall I am assuming). But that would only be a couple hundred. I’m waiting to hear back from the installation company but am inpatient. Labor fee is a different line item so that is strictly parts.

It will most likely not work properly with only 10' and 2 90s. A straight shot at 10' is questionable

The chimney pipe will very often cost more than the stove.

The chimney pipe will very often cost more than the stove.
Thanks, I had an insert installed a few yrs ago and if I recall right, the liner was around $600, and the pipes I saw were something like $300 but I guess I didn’t get the full scope. It makes sense now. And I’ll definitely follow up with the installer about the draft.