Pelpro PP130B broken!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sasquatch76

Jan 10, 2015
WV
Haven't had this stove for more than a couple months.

Cleaned it tonight and when I went to latch the door, the inner latch arm snapped off!

It's about to get real cold here too and Pelpro wants $107 for a replacement?

I need a fix quick or it's electric heaters for awhile. 😞

Yes, I contacted Pelpro, But who knows how long it'll be for a fix.

Pelpro PP130B broken! Pelpro PP130B broken!

That almost looks like an allen head bolt?
Drill it out and replace it...would only cost a buck or two...

There's no bolt.
I was actually thinking about welding it. But I'll see what Pelpro has to say first. I have backup heat for now.

That looks like a shoulder bolt. The part that is broken off in the shaft should be threaded. Look at the other side of the shaft and see if the broken piece of bolt is showing, if it is you may be able to take a regular small drill and start drilling and the broken part might unthread out of the shaft.

Reactions: gfreek and Mt Bob
As said above, use an EZ-out kit, drill and use an EZ-out bit to reverse it out

I got the snapped threads out, pretty easy. Now I need to find another.
Pelpro doesn't sell that part separately, only in the complete door handle kit.
Guess I'll just have to wait for them to reply to me.

Now just take the 2 broken halves to the hardware store and match up a new one...

Not sure that's going to work, I think it's a specialty part.
How so...bastard thread size or something?
Have a good pic of the 2 halves together?

Looks like u could probably look in the specialty fastener drawers at the hardware store and find something that could work, even if just temporary until you can get one fro Pellet Pro.

Maybe just a bolt partially threaded in and a couple stop nuts. You could put a metal sleeve on the exposed part of the bolt to make it smooth.

Just get creative. It’s just a latch.

Biggest thing is you would want to try and pick something that would deal okay with the heat.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Do you a bolt with the correct threads? If so, can you thread it in so it sticks out enough to catch the latch. Then put a stop nut on it so it doesn’t move.

Boy, I can see why it broke there...they sure neck it down thin between the shoulder and the threads!
You should definitely be able to cobble something together from the hardware store...just get an allen bolt the right size (1/4-20?) with the right length shoulder on it, then a short piece of tubing to slide up on to be the shoulder/spacer...or maybe you could even forego the shoulder if you make a new roller with a smaller ID to fit right on the bolt...then just use a jamb nut to lock it to the handle.
Or you could just try to order the right one from someplace like Fastenal, or Grainger...maybe McMaster Carr

That's a shoulder bolt. Measure the diameter and the length of the smooth round part and the threaded part should be standard to that bolt. google is your friend.

I found a similar bolt in my stash of my misfit bolts.

Same thread and dia., door seems to latch tight.
Test firing the stove right now, been going for almost an hour, burning just fine. :)

Reactions: Washed-Up
I found a similar bolt in my stash of my misfit bolts.

Same thread and dia., door seems to latch tight.
A shoulder bolt like that? That's semi impressive...I have a huge bucket full of misfit bolts/screws/nuts/washers and I'm fairly certain there is very few, if any, shoulder bolts! If I have any around at all they are likely metric...probably the brake/clutch lever pivot bolt for motorcycles...

A shoulder bolt like that? That's semi impressive...I have a huge bucket full of misfit bolts/screws/nuts/washers and I'm fairly certain there is very few, if any, shoulder bolts! If I have any around at all they are likely metric...probably the brake/clutch lever pivot bolt for motorcycles...

I actually found 4 steel shoulder bolts. One was too short, two were wrong size/thread. The fourth worked. Whew.